diy solar

diy solar

Emergency power/medical equipment

I really like the champion equipment , but not to produce air to breath.
T
1) people that require O2 always have tank backup to the machine. So you can easily switch to tank for the 20 min it takes to get a genny up and running.
2) you can insert a solar generator before or after the tank. Use it first, use it instead, use it as backup to the tank, etc.
3) this isnt intended to be a week long replacement for grid. Your priority is to keep the life safety equipment up and running. That could be short sprints due to thunderstorms etc of a few hours, it could be for a day perhaps two, during which you should be considering and planning how to move out of the no-grid location and to a more stable location.

Ya , I guess you could , or just pop for a quality Honda gen on day one and don’t worry about it at all .
the Chinese equipment he’s just not reliable enough to supply oxygen in a emergency.

Im thinking he can use the portable o2 machine that uses really next to nothing in power during power outages. the stationary unit is the one that draws crazy power and the only difference is its a constant flow vs the inhale sensor on the portable. if you stop breathing it beeps lol.

aside from that i think i jumped the gun here. i ordered the sigineer SR150V60A, noticed after it shipped that it has a positive ground. i was told just dont ground it lol.

last time we had power outage(2 weeks no power) our gas station had to order generators for the pumps and then they all ran out of gas. just tryin to make a back up of a backup.

the fridge is another one. i rarely use my insulin because i got healthier. but when power goes out, food spoils and insulin is gone. blood sugar spikes. im a dead man. maybe a portable 12v fridge or freezer? but the cost of one of those i can spend a few more and get more batteries.
anyway, diagnosed type 2 for christmas 2010. all was good and diet controlled, this year i spiked to a 14% a1c. they think im type 1 now. thats why im stressing over this.

also i do have the champion inverter generator 3800 i think. and a 7500 generator for the transfer switch. they have to come inside the garage at night because they started stealing generators around here.

Following this thread with interest.

A six day power outage, some difficulty getting gasoline for the generator, and a family member who needs a CPAP, was my impetus for building a solar system as well.

I've spent enough on solar equipment thus far that I could have bought a new Kubota low boy diesel generator, but then fuel doesn't fall from the sky. Solar is also outside my wheelhouse, an opportunity to learn, and an interesting side project.

One of the goals for me to put in solar was backup for power outage. However i have a 5000w PV with 400+Ah battery and 6kw of inverter. its $10K investment to know I can run half the house when the grid goes down.

If your goal is to keep life safety equipment up your good options are either to go with a something I have already mentioned, propane generator, no worry about having fuel go bad, battery backup for quick stuff that is short term and plan to vacate the area for long term issues. OR you go whole hog and put $5-10K into it.

In theory there is a middle ground of the "milk crate inverter build" however the logistics of having to handle 800-1200w of solar panels is non-trivial.

Chest freezer would take days to thaw out, longer if you ran it for 5 hrs while the sun was up. There are several good options on the market now to regulate the freezer externally and turn it into a chest fridge which are much more efficent than your standup one in the kitchen.

Last edited:
You could just get a inverter / charger with golf cart battery’s and plug the frig and air unit in to it .
When the power go’s out the inverter will start inverting off the battery’s when the power comes back the inverter will charge the battery’s and power the load .
If the battery’s get low there is a alarm that sounds for LV disconnect.
You could have some solar power or not ?
My system runs on 5 gallons of fuel a week and I keep 6 5G steel gas cans that can get me thru 6 weeks with no sun .
last winter my panels where snow covered for 10 weeks .
My son is living on borrowed timehe is using 2 full size Air concentrate running @ 75% all the time and can’t use a portable unit☹️
Just a heads up you need to stay on the list my concentrators don’t last more then a year.
At the end of life they get really loud and then start to give off a burning smell and a lot of heat .
Diabetes sucks we are on the same time line , mine started in 2010 allso and this March i spiked I never went to the doctor but it was bad One day I was blind and could not see the 6 ‘ TV .
I stoped eating every thing but eggs , tuna ,spinach leaves and sliced Turkey , black coffee , water .
It took me a month to get my eye site back .
I’m doing ok now I lost 6” on my belt but winter is coming ☹️ And I’ve been cheating .

One of the goals for me to put in solar was backup for power outage. However i have a 5000w PV with 400+Ah battery and 6kw of inverter. its $10K investment to know I can run half the house when the grid goes down.

If your goal is to keep life safety equipment up your good options are either to go with a something I have already mentioned, propane generator, no worry about having fuel go bad, battery backup for quick stuff that is short term and plan to vacate the area for long term issues. OR you go whole hog and put $5-10K into it.

In theory there is a middle ground of the "milk crate inverter build" however the logistics of having to handle 800-1200w of solar panels is non-trivial.

Chest freezer would take days to thaw out, longer if you ran it for 5 hrs while the sun was up. There are several good options on the market now to regulate the freezer externally and turn it into a chest fridge which are much more efficent than your standup one in the kitchen.
All good info here guys thank you.

I was actually looking into those things also. Converting the big generator to use both gas and propane. Also looking into adding that switch or temp control to one of the freezers and maybe just run that one freezer a few hours a day.

I did see the zooms battery on the YouTube video with decent results and thinking about those.
You could just get a inverter / charger with golf cart battery’s and plug the frig and air unit in to it .
When the power go’s out the inverter will start inverting off the battery’s when the power comes back the inverter will charge the battery’s and power the load .
If the battery’s get low there is a alarm that sounds for LV disconnect.
You could have some solar power or not ?
My system runs on 5 gallons of fuel a week and I keep 6 5G steel gas cans that can get me thru 6 weeks with no sun .
last winter my panels where snow covered for 10 weeks .
My son is living on borrowed timehe is using 2 full size Air concentrate running @ 75% all the time and can’t use a portable unit☹️
Just a heads up you need to stay on the list my concentrators don’t last more then a year.
At the end of life they get really loud and then start to give off a burning smell and a lot of heat .
Diabetes sucks we are on the same time line , mine started in 2010 allso and this March i spiked I never went to the doctor but it was bad One day I was blind and could not see the 6 ‘ TV .
I stoped eating every thing but eggs , tuna ,spinach leaves and sliced Turkey , black coffee , water .
It took me a month to get my eye site back .
I’m doing ok now I lost 6” on my belt but winter is coming ☹️ And I’ve been cheating .
It sucks man but we’re all on borrowed time. None of us live forever. If it’s not health it’s something else. Dad fell through a 3 story building and lived but not well. Stroke, disabled. A worker covered the skylight. 3 months ago I was rear ended. Since then in my other car I almost got in a head on collision 3 times with someone coming at me in my lane through a bend. Somethings gonna get us.
Motorcycle forget it lol. Dodged everyone from vultures to trees but then gravel got me. Vultures like red helmets.

Gonna have to get metal cans and find storage place for them. Convert or add that controller to a freezer and try the zooms.

I was thinking, again too much, to use generators during day for normal use and charge batteries. Then bring them in at night and run off batteries just at night time.

Central air and heating not worried about. I put in a wood stove a few years ago, overkill for the house. And dad complains it’s cold when it’s 90 degrees anyway then I get crap from the wife and kids hate life lol

Have to do more calculations lol. Forgot to write down the meter numbers for fridge and freezer.
Gonna see if I can get away with 2 batteries 24v 100ah with one freezer and convert it with controller. So many options

I think you can run numbers all day long but, in reality this stuff dosent allways match the numbers.
I don’t think 100ah is enough you don’t want to charge more then once a day.
I use 16 golf cart battery’s they where 100 bucks each 2 strings of 8.
I would think about a 48v system and run 8 GC battery’s in series you could add solar 2 strings of 3 300watt panel will keep you charged up.

I think you can run numbers all day long but, in reality this stuff dosent allways match the numbers.
I don’t think 100ah is enough you don’t want to charge more then once a day.
I use 16 golf cart battery’s they where 100 bucks each 2 strings of 8.
I would think about a 48v system and run 8 GC battery’s in series you could add solar 2 strings of 3 300watt panel will keep you charged up.
Damn I should of asked.
I ordered the zooms 12v200ah battery. Not finding a definitive answer on google.
Can I run those in series parallel if I get 3 more but the 12v100 and get 48v 300?

I’m old school and don’t know much about the new batterys .
I know some of the battery’s can be paralleled some can’t , I’m sure you could get a answer from the people you ordered from
you would need 4 battery’s @12v for a 48v system @ 200AH
you can use 80% of the battery so you get mor power .?
If this is your battery it’s said they can be run parallel/series
A8B0C476-7243-4983-A544-AB957D6F1504.jpeg

My immediate non-solar solution was a Honda EU2200i and 30 gallons of stored non-ethanol gas, with a double dose of Stabil, in metal cans. That's in addition to the gas in the girlfriend's spare car, and the 35 gallon tank in my one ton dually truck. We could probably run a month solid without any trouble, just with fuel on hand.

That's given me peace of mind, and time to build the solar system, without being in a big hurry.

I use a Honda eu2200 To run 2 Air concentrators @ 75% it will run for 6 hours+-
I think it uses about a gallon of fuel in that time , so 3 gallons a day 21g a week I change the oil at 50 hours so every 4 days or so I use Mobile one synthetic

I use a Honda eu2200 To run 2 Air concentrators @ 75% it will run for 6 hours+-
I think it uses about a gallon of fuel in that time , so 3 gallons a day 21g a week I change the oil at 50 hours so every 4 days or so I use Mobile one synthetic
The 1800w 2200w surge? I have, at moderate load burns a quart an hr. or 4hrs to a gal. at light load its 6+ hrs/gal

Last edited:
I’m old school and don’t know much about the new batterys .
I know some of the battery’s can be paralleled some can’t , I’m sure you could get a answer from the people you ordered from
you would need 4 battery’s @12v for a 48v system @ 200AH
you can use 80% of the battery so you get mor power .?
If this is your battery it’s said they can be run parallel/series
View attachment 69531
Yup that’s it. Trying to see if I can run 200+100+100+100 without a facial explosion lol
My immediate non-solar solution was a Honda EU2200i and 30 gallons of stored non-ethanol gas, with a double dose of Stabil, in metal cans. That's in addition to the gas in the girlfriend's spare car, and the 35 gallon tank in my one ton dually truck. We could probably run a month solid without any trouble, just with fuel on hand.

That's given me peace of mind, and time to build the solar system, without being in a big hurry.
i got no gasoline storage lol. No shed either. I just had to take a propane tank out of garage because it leaked. Thought someone was using bleach…nope.

If you have a vehicle, keep the tank above half full. That'll give you some "storage" right there, although obviously quite a compromise. Good practice, even without keeping generator fuel in mind.

If you have a vehicle, keep the tank above half full. That'll give you some "storage" right there, although obviously quite a compromise. Good practice, even without keeping generator fuel in mind.
i try but i end up using it :/

i just ordered the batteryhookup diy kit. if i can get those to work with my face in place i might buy 6 more for 48v 200ah.

Your 200+100+100+100 dosent make sense to me .
Buy 6 more for 48v 200ah. Hmmmmm Some thing dosent add up to me here.

My buddy just has a rubber maid trash can holder and keeps his fuel and propane in the yard .
He keep his generator there allso .
I have a generator shed and keep my log splitter in side allso

Your 200+100+100+100 dosent make sense to me .
Buy 6 more for 48v 200ah. Hmmmmm Some thing dosent add up to me here.

My buddy just has a rubber maid trash can holder and keeps his fuel and propane in the yard .
He keep his generator there allso .
I have a generator shed and keep my log splitter in side allso
A 250 and 3 100ah in series parallel. Attached pic but those are 6v.

It I ordered a couple of the diy kits to play with.

Attachments

• ED5C86C6-3095-4F0C-A02B-BFDA31ADA9B4.jpeg
    ED5C86C6-3095-4F0C-A02B-BFDA31ADA9B4.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 3
  • 0D6F331E-E0DC-414D-84DF-FBB9CC6AF57F.jpeg
    0D6F331E-E0DC-414D-84DF-FBB9CC6AF57F.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 3
Back