diy solar

diy solar

Energy consumption doubled since installing solar panels.

wardy1983

Hi All,
I had a solar system installed in April 23 and my consumption on my energy bill has increased massively.
I use a solis app to track my panels and on a typical day the system would export more than the generation of the panels. The system would also import more than the load of my house. I also noticed that the daily import plus the export is equal to the total consumption on my energy bill.
On the 5th of jan, the company that installed the panels switched the direction of my CT clamps and since then the system has stopped exporting massive amounts daily(sometimes 80kwh MORE than generated) and I have seen a reduction in my bills. Any explanation or advice would be greatly appreciated as I have not only paid more in my bill but lost out on potential saving.
Thank you for taking the time to read my story.
George

Your installer messed up on an item that is known to cause issues and did not take the time Iie 5 mins to check. Installers fault, how you get him to pay is the problem, when did you complain, did you get an independent check.

Your installer messed up on an item that is known to cause issues and did not take the time Iie 5 mins to check. Installers fault, how you get him to pay is the problem, when did you complain, did you get an independent check.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
It is actually at my grandparents house, I only raised the issue when I looked into the bills this year, unfortunately until then it went unnoticed.
Would you be able to elaborate the the issue? I take it its the direction of the CT clamp that caused the system to export so much and to increased consumption? Then when the direction was reversed the system is now normal.
Kind Regards
George

Correct, CT,s installed incorrectly and now corrected. All they had to do is check the inverter was working correctly before they left the first time. Typical UK lazy installers, very common error.

OMG... In view of the schoolboy error and lack of commissioning of the system, it sound like a case to refer to local trading standards office and/or lodge a claim via the small claims court to reclaim costs. Or threaten to name and shame the installers to local newspaper to see if that will get them to recompense your grandparents without needing to take it further.

Last edited:
Running to the small claims court too early can be a problem.

Judges will want to see all alternative avenues such as arbitration using the trade body etc have run their course.

It may to come to raising a small claim but first you need to have a documented case, independent witness or a report written by a qualified person.

So take it a step at a time, make copious notes. Keep all comms with the company in writing from this point.

Get some professional advice (Trading Standards are fairly useless with advice) on your approach. First hour is free at solicitors but online consumer forums are free as long as you filter out the stupid answers.

Make a hint of the small claims so they know where it could head, but try to get an agreed solution first.

Back