diy solar

diy solar

Energy Storage System Inverter Recommendations

BlackSheep

Looking to install 200kWh of energy storage to a building with ~100kW maximum output current that will charge from grid power. I want to avoid using hybrid inverters as there will not be a solar system tied into this installation and if possible want to avoid paralleling several inverters together. Any recommendations on battery inverters that are around 100kW and 480V 3ph on the AC side?

I good looking solution I'm looking at is the Dynapower MPS-125 energy storage inverter. Anyone have feedback on this product?

Last edited:
SMA makes battery inverters and packaged systems. I think US models are in the 1MW range but might work for you.
in Europe they have a 75kW model.

I think SolArk has a 3-phase hybrid around 36kW, perhaps 3 of those would work.

SMA makes battery inverters and packaged systems. I think US models are in the 1MW range but might work for you.
in Europe they have a 75kW model.

I think SolArk has a 3-phase hybrid around 36kW, perhaps 3 of those would work.
Thanks for the recommendation! I like SMA but there Central Storage product is ~2MW which seems like overkill and the clusters operate at 208V so I would need to step that up for our system. It would work but want to avoid that if possible.

Solark is a good fall back and I could even get away with using two 60kW 3-phase inverters. I'll look into this!

If you try to step-up, look for a true step-up transformer. Primary and secondary windings differ both in inrush and steady-state due to inductance so driving backwards isn't nice. Or maybe your application would actually be step-down, always excited by grid. For inverter driving it, I'd rather have a transformer optimized for lower no-load current (takes more core and conductor, so larger and more expensive.)

Sunny Island as multi-cluster is not grid-interactive, can only use grid as generator. Sunny Island itself doesn't seem to have functions for peak shaving and the like, just limiting draw from grid.

There are likely other brands, maybe Schneider? That are the size you want.

Looks like Sunny Boy Storage and the new Smart Energy are only 240V, not 277V like some Sunny Boy. Autotransformer might take care of that. About 15 of the 7.7kW or 9 of the 11.5kW units might do what you need?
Confirm with SMA that 240V with one side grounded is supported; it might look at neutral just to qualify 120/240V. Could even have problems with 240V relative to ground. I remember questions about that in their presentation but not the answers, if any.

SBSE + BYD would be modular. But cost tends to be lower per kW for large 3-phase inverters. And I doubt they have anything to control multiple parallel SBSE.

This appears to be a true step-up transformer, 208 delta to 277/480Y

But I still don't like the no-load current draw of these power line transformers, operating at rated voltage. I prefer to operate around 50% of rated voltage, which drops the no-load current inverter has to supply by a factor of 10.

Back