diy solar

diy solar

EPEVER 2210AN

mathewhgreen

Hi

The controller I have is capable of upto 100volts of panel voltage.

I have two 290watt panels I want to put in series having had them in parallel for ages. I have three of them in parallel at the moment.

I’ve not had an issue with over-panelling as the total power was nearly 900 watts as the voltage was never higher than 35volts. The amps being controlled by the controller.

If I put two of them in series which will total about 70volts will it be ok still?

Just checking before I change :)

I just fried what I thought was the same controller but the voltage was limited to 60volts. A capacitor has popped so hopefully changing that out will fix it. I can’t see any other damage.

Thanks
Mat

What is the Voc of your 3 panels. What is he coldest temp that your panels will be?
The voltage increases about .35% for each deg below 25C where they are rated.
If your panel lists the temp coefficient, a better calculation for temp compensation can be made.

I’ll only be using two panels in series so the maximum voltage will be 70volts. Both capable of 8 amps. 35 Voc each. It’s around 7C atm.

2 panels will easily be under your 100V input limit.

Why would you switch to 2 panels in series from 3 in parallel. That sounds like it will produce 1/3 less power.

If you want to maximise your over panelling, you should put your 3 parallel panels spread east to west. The south east facing panel will start charging as he sun comes up, the west-ish panel will charge late in the day. You will max out your 10A SCC for most of the day, probably doubling a south-only facing array.

I read something the other day about when the voltage from the panels drops below 15v it has trouble charging efficiently? So I thought during the winter I would put them in series as two panels generating say 12v each would make 24v…

Have you heard about this sort of thing?

Have you heard about this sort of thing?
Oh yea, that’s a real thing. There is definitely some headroom voltage for most SCCs to start (5V) is the number bandied about. Once started, my impression is they can run just a couple volts over charging voltage.

If your panels are struggling to make 15V when cloudy, series connected panels is a good solution. If you can find a 4th “similar or exact” panel, 2S2P is a popular configuration. And you could point one string slightly east and the other slightly to lengthen the charging hours.

Or just run 2 in series and get a cheapie 2nd SCC for your other panel. I do recommend investing in quality SCCs though.

Could I put two in parallel and then that pair in series with another?

Total voltage would be 70v still and I could use all my panels…

Could I put two in parallel and then that pair in series with another?
“another” what?
Another single panel with the same specs as the other panels?
3 equivalent panels, 2 in parallel in series with the 3rd would be severely affected and be no better than 2 panels.

Another equivalent pair of 2 panels in series? Then yes.

Another single panel (bigger) equivalent to the combine parallel pair? Then yes.

I have three panels the same.
Two on the roof and one on the back of my Moho at 90 degrees to the ground facing south.
I was thinking to keep the voltage up I could have the two on the roof in parallel and then that pair in series with the one on the back.

Back