diy solar

diy solar

EPever 3kW with 1.296kWh LiFePO4 and 1kW of panels

solararray

I have been working away at putting together a solar system as a backup for my home. I have been toying with the idea of even eventually getting off grid electricity entirely if I can save some money long term. Electric rates have just gone up from 0.14 kwh to 0.16 kwh (GBP).

In a previous post I was looking at how to expand the storage on a GZ Yeti without using the expensive Yeti link. Now the Yeti's inverter can only produce up to 1.5kw of power which works great for backing up a fridge and a few other small things but I decided I want more power! I'll continue to look out for a solution to that problem.

Because I like to do things as simply as possible (and because I am a solar noob) I have been looking at 'all in one inverter-charge controller' units such as these:
upower-front-500x500.png

"24V 3000W EPever Upower All In One Combined 3Kw Inverter"

My idea would be to plug my house loads into the AC out on the unit (I have a plug thingy at home that connects to the houses electric circuits and you turn a switch from "mains" to "generator".) The wire is limited to 3kW (otherwise I would get a larger inverter) according to an electrician I asked.

This EPever unit can run 2.4kW of loads continuously and up to 3kW for 15 mins and surge to 6kW. This would be sufficient to start and run:
  • Worcester house furnace (1150W start up and a tiny fraction continuously thereafter)
  • Additional freezer (I can't remember the wattage now)
  • House lighting (LED- most bulbs are between 3-10W)
  • Laptop computers (100W each approx)
  • Router 24W

So with the above, I can have a warm house with lights and communications. Additionally, I reckon I can possibly run:

s-l300.jpg

"Small plugin oven/hob (1500W/1600W respectively) "

- --If I was careful with the other loads. Plus the individual plates on the hob are 600W and 1000W so this allows me to allocate Watts accordingly. Furthermore if I run the system isolated from the house I could plug in separate appliances like my tumble dryer (2kW) and washing machine (haven't checked W) without worrying about overloading it - perhaps I could do this during the day before heating and light become necessary and before dinner is to be cooked!

In addition to the EPever unit above I was thinking to run the system with the following batteries and panels:

2 x 12V 54Ah LiFePO4 TN-Power Lithium Battery
3 x 340W Canadian Solar Half Cell Panels

This would give me potentially just over a 1kW of solar and 1.296kWh of battery storage. If this drains quickly then I can simply buy more batteries.

From wire gauge calculators, assuming a load of 3kW (24v, 125A) over a 3ft distance it seems like I will need a 4AWG gauge cable between the batteries and the inverter. Going to look into an appropriate breaker/fuse to, though I know the unit has some built in electronic protection features and the battery has a BMS. Regardless I will look into this.

I know when adding extra batteries I would have to be careful with differences in the voltages of each battery. I saw this in a Will Prowse video, I'll have to check that.

Anyways, what do y'all think?

Do realize your battery is extremely small for what you intend to do. If you draw 1000W for an hour you're empty. Is this fine maybe for your routers and a laptop, perhaps. Cooking on it? Doubtful unless you can cook a meal in under 30 minutes before your lights go off.

You wanna run all those things get at least a 5k and pay your electrician to replace the wires with heavier wires. figure Out your max usage and for how long. How many watts and amps. Most likely you will wanna go 24 or 48 volt and at least 4 to 8 battery’s

Back