diy solar

diy solar

Epever firmware update - Tracer AN, Triron, Xtra N

rezonatefreq

Found these links and files a few days ago when I was having issues connecting via RS485 to my EPEVER TracerAN 3210. I tried everything I knew and researched every thing I could find. Switched computers, comm ports etc but never connected. I am not new to interfacing via RS485m to industrial equipment and sometimes this happens and it is very frustrating and time consuming until you identify the one specific item preventing communication. I gave up for the day after I ordered a generic USB to RS485 cable from Amazon. I was using the cable from EPEVER. I could not leave it alone and thought I would try an flash the controller with new firmware (SV200) I found on the interwebs. Figured it would not work since I had no coms. Well what do you know, per the flash upgrade software the flash was successful. Once the controller was rebooted I tried connecting Solar Station software via the RS485 cable and it connected right away. I do have a MT50 interface panel and it had been working even when the PC connection would not.

EPEVER upgrade announcement:
https://www.epever.com/xtra-triron-tracer-an10a-40a-mt50-new-features/

EPEVER instructions for upgrading Tracer-AN:
https://www.epever.com/upload/file/2107/Controller Software Upgrade Steps-EN-TcerAN_SV200.pdf

I cannot link back to the SV200 firmware file again since the site now asks for a password. I will attach it below. Its just shy of 2megs in size. This worked on my Tracer-AN 3210 but use at your own risk. Just follow the instructions in the above pdf. You could always try contacting EPEVER and have them email you the file?

I do have lifePO4 settings now in the Tracer-AN via Solar Station software but the MT50 does not show them as an option, as per the upgrade announcement above. The MT50 firmware cannot be upgraded.

Rezonatefreq

Attachments

• 控制器软件升级操作步骤-TracerAN_SV200.rar
    1.9 MB · Views: 327
@rezonatefreq Can you change the title of the thread to "Epever firmware update - Tracer AN, Triron, Xtra N". Thank you!

Here is another Zip with the V200 firmware files for the models "Tracer AN", "Triron" and "Xtra N". The Zip also includes the update instructions. I cannot verify if the files are legit - use at own risk.

Source: Youtube Video by "Epever-Sean". He posted the link to the Zip file as a reply in the comments (google drive link).

Attachments

• Upgrade Manual.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!
After upgrading the firmware from 1.2 to 2.0, the Solar Station Monitor at last can read my 3210 AN. But there is a big drawback: The MT50 module no longer works!
It only reads Connecting ...... forever!
Anyone else having this problem?

Does anybody here have an older firmmware for the AN series, so I can go back and use the MT50 again?

!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!
After upgrading the firmware from 1.2 to 2.0, the Solar Station Monitor at last can read my 3210 AN. But there is a big drawback: The MT50 module no longer works!

Does anybody here have an older firmmware for the AN series, so I can go back and use the MT50 again?
Try contacting "Epever-Sean" on Youtube. The guy seems to work at Epever. You could try commenting on this video.

!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!

Solution found! Many thanks to Epever support, thats, what has to be mentioned first. The problem really is an old software in my MT50 module. The firmware in the MT50 is not upgradeable, and although it might work with the original firmware of the Tracer, mine doesn't understand the upgraded protocol of the Version 2.0 . Solution is easy: Use the V . 1.56 ! Both the Station Monitor 1.95 AND the MT50 work with this version! I don't know which version of the MT50 works with V. 2.0 , but as you cn easily downgrade, I'd suggest yoou try the V2.0 first, annd when you encounter any problems, go back to V1.56 . New MT50 shouldn't have this problem at all.
I have no idea, what are the other differences between V1.56 and V2.0, as both support Li-Ion Batteries now, so if you can, use V2.0

Attachments

• Controller Software Upgrade-SV156.rar
    4.4 MB · Views: 272
Hi guys, thanks for all this info. I tried unsuccessfully to update my AN Series Firmware to V2.0 to get the Lithium settings. I kept getting hung-up after 10 mins and 6 bars progress. Not like Sean's video where it flashed fast. Reading this now I've got the V1.56 as I have an MT50. Before I get in and try again, some advice would be great.
Should I disconnect the MT50 when flashing?
Powering up the Tracer to flash - should I just power from my solar bank?
Should I break the circuit from the Tracer to battery - or will the battery feed power back to power the Tracer (I note that with panels isolated the MT50 remains on so perhaps the best way is to keep panels "off" & power "back" to Tracer)
Thanks
I'm buildingmy Van with:
2x A Grade Monocrystal PERC 9BB Solar Panel 380W
1x EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller 6415AN 60A
12V 1000W LOW FREQUENCY PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER/CHARGER-230V
1x 200A/H Lithium battery

Does anyone know if the 4210A and 4210AN series have the same firmware? I have the "A" version and only difference I can find is pos ground vs neg ground. Are the firmwares the same and can I flash the the new AN version on mine?

Solution found! Many thanks to Epever support, thats, what has to be mentioned first. The problem really is an old software in my MT50 module. The firmware in the MT50 is not upgradeable, and although it might work with the original firmware of the Tracer, mine doesn't understand the upgraded protocol of the Version 2.0 . Solution is easy: Use the V . 1.56 ! Both the Station Monitor 1.95 AND the MT50 work with this version! I don't know which version of the MT50 works with V. 2.0 , but as you cn easily downgrade, I'd suggest yoou try the V2.0 first, annd when you encounter any problems, go back to V1.56 . New MT50 shouldn't have this problem at all.
I have no idea, what are the other differences between V1.56 and V2.0, as both support Li-Ion Batteries now, so if you can, use V2.0
In attachment JanMR have sent is firmware V 1.56 but that one is for Triron - UP_TriRon_V0156(1).prg , not for Tracer . So did anyone made upgrade for his 3210AN Tracer with this firmware for Triron and does it works without problem including MT50 or it is incompatble with tracer and in attachment should be different .prg file for Tracer ?

Ah well, we can screw that idea
What can be seen from JanMR posts he has solution. From his posts old MT50 version no longer works with Epever Tracer 3210AN with latest firmware V2.0 but his solution is to put firmware V1.56 in 3210AN and in that case both Tracer 3210AN and old version MT50 will work fine for Li-Ion batteries. But what is strange that in .rar file which JanMR posted in attachment is firmware with name UP_TriRon_V0156(1).prg which one supposed to be for Triron. It would be good to know is that firmware is same one that JanMR has put in his Tracer 3210AN and which one is working as it was mentioned ?

Hi folks, I have TWO tracer 4210AN charge controllers, started using them a bit over two years ago on a flooded lead acid battery bank @ 24v, and bought in September, TWO 12.8v 200aH PLUS LiFePO batteries from POWERQUEEN on Amazon. I went by POWERQUEEN's settings as they have the warranty :D. I flashed/updated the firmware per this thread and used a few other threads whose purpose was getting correct settings. I tried using my own settings based on PQs recommendations and set charging lower for the first week or so, flashed the firmware and LOOKED at LiFePO specific settings and they were too high. So, I went back to USER settings(NOT under LiFePO) and used them up until a few days ago, when I had an an idea that using LiFePO and altering from there, as they are for 12v system anyway, would work. ALL the other settings (NOT under the flashed LiFePO) caused the voltage to spike at 31.15 or close, when the CC shut off the panels input. My inverter would start shutting down, then 3 seconds later come back on and repeat again every few minutes. I had been going to the switch I had installed at the CC so I wouldn't have to go out in the yard and unplug them. I am off grid in the west TX desert and paralyzed from T$ down. So I hate having to get up and roll out to shut panels off, not having time to write EPEVER to find out what was wrong,. ANYWAY, here are the settings I have been using for about a week and the panels seem to be doing constant current, then constant voltage until it tapers to 4 amps(PQ calls it Tail Current) then allowing approximately the wattage I am using throughout the day. NO high voltage spikes anymore and I am pleased. I have yet to install my 300amp shunt monitor but will soon. I am kinda hands on and don't mind using my multimeter a zillion times a day on this and my other bank(with the same epever cc) of old flooded batts.

I did NOT flash the other one and I had an MT50 that USED to work but before I got the new batt set, it ceased from oxidation of the connector and I just bought the wifi module which workED on both until after a recent 3 day ice storm when it quit working on either one. Has the lights working, connects to the wifi network but NEVER identifies the cc either auto or manual. I have the lithium batts inside with me and a laptop hooke to the cc outside on opposite wall. I run it with the software to monitor all the time.

I will post pics off the settings from the PARAMETERS menu when READ is selected. Also my inverter NEVER displays the correct battery voltage, for obvious reasons, nor does the software give anywhere near accurate SOC. I use my meter and go by kwH per day to get a reasonable idea from that, how my system is going.

I am pleased with performance and until I out the monitor on it, I will post accurate battery capacity, etc in this thread.
Edit to state in summer, I panels put out 1.2KW and the CC seems to shut off the small amount over 40amps input...today started out cloudy and was off and on full sun until I got up and fired up the laptop. Usually would be at 800-and above until it's switched into CV mode, seems to have cut in at 600x out and only approached 800 a few times when the pic was taken of the graph. On clear daysit goes to max output and at the appropiate time starts tapering off and graph has the correct slope corresponding to this. It is still cloudy and hasn't recharged the batts fully but is running ~500w. I have been out here for over 5 years and watch the power production relentlessly, I can now tell how much power is being produced by my panels from looking at the sky, also pretty spot on with the time on sunny days but that is simple when you grew up in the country, lol. ANOTHER thing, BOTH charge conrollers identify as TRIRON4210 instead of TRACER, which caused me a little concern initially until I put the wifi module on the one I had not flashed. The MT50 always said Tracer before it died. The PQ lithium batts are exellent as is their customer service.

Attachments

• IMG_0614 2.jpeg
    IMG_0614 2.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0612 2.jpeg
    IMG_0612 2.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Post from CapnGimp could be indeed very valuable for all of people who read it, regarding lot of information there, especially about his Solar system and Tracer settings for lithium batteries. Interesting thing, if I understand well, is that his both Tracers are identified as Triron4210 through WiFi module- with and without flash update , but through MT50 they were identified as Tracers.

Regarding firmware version V1.56 posted by JanMR above, it is not clear is it compatible with Tracers AN series or it is for Triron series, so it would be good to know with what version of firmware CapnGimp made update on his Tracer 4210AN - was it with V1.56 ( UP_TriRon_V0156(1).prg ) or with V2.0 (ST_TcerAN_V200.prg ?

Regarding firmware version V1.56 posted by JanMR above, it is not clear is it compatible with Tracers AN series or it is for Triron series, so it would be good to know with what version of firmware CapnGimp made update on his Tracer 4210AN - was it with V1.56 ( UP_TriRon_V0156(1).prg ) or with V2.0 (ST_TcerAN_V200.prg ?
I made the "hardcore test" and flashed JanMR's Version on my Tracer 3210AN and it booted up quite as normal saying in "Solar Station Monitor" being a Triron now with Version 1.56. - so everything is working fine so far. I'm going to make a few tests within the next days if everything worked fine now. Lithium is supported in Ver. 1.56 as well

I made the "hardcore test" and flashed JanMR's Version on my Tracer 3210AN and it booted up quite as normal saying in "Solar Station Monitor" being a Triron now with Version 1.56. - so everything is working fine so far. I'm going to make a few tests within the next days if everything worked fine now. Lithium is supported in Ver. 1.56 as well
Thanks for information that with JanMR's Version update on your Tracer 3210AN everything is working fine so far. Hope it will continue to work fine... It looks promising and hope, here will be your confirmation about that, after tests next days...

Thanks for information that with JanMR's Version update on your Tracer 3210AN everything is working fine so far. Hope it will continue to work fine... It looks promising and hope, here will be your confirmation about that, after tests next days...
So - afer a few days I can tell, that everything worked as before. Unfortunately the sudden Voltage drop (see here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/14v-low-light-epever-software-bug-or-back-feed-issue.46479/ ) from the solar panels from 40 V to about 18 V or even lower has not been fixed by the older firmware, so I turned back to Version 2.0. I don't even know whether this bug turned out for the first time after flashing Ver. 2.0 as I never used solar string voltages above 20 V before.

Last edited:
So - afer a few days I can tell, that everything worked as before. Unfortunately the sudden Voltage drop (see here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/14v-low-light-epever-software-bug-or-back-feed-issue.46479/) from the solar panels from 40 V to about 18 V or even lower has not been fixed by the older firmware, so I turned back to Version 2.0. I don't even know whether this bug turned out for the first time after flashing Ver. 2.0 as I never used solar string voltages above 20 V before.
Regarding Voltage drop you have mentioned, from what I have found in one of comments posted month ago on issue about
Solar Power: Epever MPPT Stops Charging How to Fix on youtube -problem is maybe in (default) settings and in BMS behavior, because if a dead space is created between Boost and Float voltages (when those are different in the settings) it can mean stop and pause charging. In same comment is suggested that solution could be not to put EPEVER/Triron near upper charge/boost limit, and then the boost and float value should match, and there will be continuous charging until that set point is reached. It seems that parameters proper order changing is also important. So, maybe worth give it a try... (and maybe let others here if it works)

Last edited:
Thank you so much ! I've not been online here for a longer time. These days I had the chance to test my Tracer for my LiFePO4 Battery with the changes you've mentioned. What can I say? It works perfect so far. I changed all settings to 14.6 V with Equalize time to 0 min and Boost Time to 120 min., Boost Reckon Charge Voltage to 14.5 V and Overvolt reconnect Voltage to 14.5 V. MPPT is now perfect changing on my 36 V System and Voltage dropping did not happen so far again. +++++ THANK YOU+++++

First, thank you for confirmation. Unfortunately, I haven't been around here for a long time, but I'm glad that you managed to set everything up to work properly. I also hope all is still well. I thank everyone here for their answers and advice, and I hope that all the information provided here will be useful to a wide range of users.

Hi guys

I like to update my tracer but before I want to be sure because if I read the parameter of the device with the solar monitor software the model of my solar charger is not Tracer AN4210 but TriRon4210 so before update I want to be sure why even if my controller is Tracer AN4210 with the software I see TriRon.

How can I proceed the update without problem? I have to use tracer firmware or TriRon firmware?

Thanks

IMG_6768.jpeg

Back