diy solar

diy solar

Epever MPPT showing no battery voltage

Aphers

I've been making a few changes to my system and may have briefly disconnected the MPPT from the battery, whilst the panels were still connected.

The screen on the MPPT is now flashing on and off and displaying zero volts for the battery. Wires are all connected and breaker is on.

Have I just killed my MPPT? ?

It's an Epever XTRA 4110N-XDS2

Panel voltage is 12v nominal.
No panels are built with voltage that low. Panels advertised for "12v" systems will typically have ''maximum power' voltages (with current) in rthe range of 1- 19 volts, and disconnect voltages in the range of 18-22 volts. If you wire them in series, the voltage becomes doubled.

With that said, you may or may not have damaged the EPEVER unit. Disconnect everything, rest for 30 seconds, then connect battery "-" first. Connect battery "+", and the unit (if not broken) should become configurable. Then connect solar "-". Only connect Solar "+" as the very last step.

Do you have an MT-50, or are you working only with the front panel display and buttons? I assume that you do have a volt meter - please post the voltage between your disconnected Solar "-" and Solar "+" wires, along with the voltage of your battery terminals wires.

Is it a battery with a BMS? Have you measured battery voltage? Is the battery break of good quality and known to be working?
Two batteries in parallel, both with BMS. I've been having trouble with one of them (see other thread) which is why I was messing about. But the system is powered up with the old battery which is working perfectly. There's also a second MPPT for the other set of panels, and it's working as well.

No panels are built with voltage that low. Panels advertised for "12v" systems will typically have ''maximum power' voltages (with current) in rthe range of 1- 19 volts, and disconnect voltages in the range of 18-22 volts. If you wire them in series, the voltage becomes doubled.
Hence the use of the term 'nominal'.
If it matters, these panels are 17v pmax. There's four, wired in parallel. This part of the system has been working perfectly for two years.

With that said, you may or may not have damaged the EPEVER unit. Disconnect everything, rest for 30 seconds, then connect battery "-" first. Connect battery "+", and the unit (if not broken) should become configurable. Then connect solar "-". Only connect Solar "+" as the very last step.
Have done. I'm running out of options that don't include it being damaged.

Do you have an MT-50, or are you working only with the front panel display and buttons? I assume that you do have a volt meter - please post the voltage between your disconnected Solar "-" and Solar "+" wires, along with the voltage of your battery terminals wires.
Interestingly, I was getting 5v on the solar input. One of my four panels is not easily disconnected and I'd covered the panel instead. I was surprised that it was still able to generate a little power. But it is very sunny here- I'm in Grenada.

If nothing lights up when you press buttons, then that picture (10:06 AM showing good battery connection voltage) implies that it is totally wrecked. Sorry!

Back