diy solar

diy solar

Epever question regarding "SolarStation" for PC

Uh, yes it does. This is ridiculous. You're probly using the wrong version as well.
You may well need to buy something else.

Importing a configuration does not update your controller - it only opens the file in the configuration window.

I think people generally just have a difficult time with software - I see this across the board in all types of applications.

I just did a quick search for some 'how-to' on this, and this blog came up, perhaps it will help:

There was a tutorial on how to update a Tracer charge controller, but I don't know where to find it again. I printed it out and it went in my 'OverKill' manual - a 3-ring binder of over a hundred pages now.

Some of this stuff is complicated. I get that. Saying it doesn't work just because you can't figure it out is silly.

Last edited:
I’m not into this stuff anymore so my skills are…. gone now.
But I think it writes the files into its own folder somewhere.
I recall reading someone mentioning that in an aussie forum where someone hacked the code to overcome an oem early-float bug with an older model. Might’ve been posted here?

Yeah, I might have a 'early-float' bug with my 1206AN - it's the older style. The new style Xtra works great.

And yes, the program writes the exports to a file, but if you navigate to the same folder with MSExplorer they're not there. No biggie, as long as the program knows where it is they're saved.

Besides, once you've poured over these settings for a time you soon learn what you're aiming for, and what they do, and you can easily make adjustments on the fly.

once you've poured over these settings for a time you soon learn what you're aiming for
In trying to cure my AN50 cutting out at high voltage during equalize (or if an inverter load starts - fridge, vacuum cleaner- in full sun) I’ve just gone to taking a screenshot rather than rely on my memory. Just in case I need to know.

In trying to cure my AN50 cutting out at high voltage during equalize (or if an inverter load starts - fridge, vacuum cleaner- in full sun) I’ve just gone to taking a screenshot rather than rely on my memory. Just in case I need to know.
Cool, isn't it? I have dozens of them. My memory isn't what it once was. LOL

What I was really getting at, is the app lets you 'read' the settings on the controller, make adjustments, then 'update' it. Takes just seconds.
It's been kind of fun trying them all out - starting with the Xiaoxiang bms one, then the EPEver, the Junctek meter, and the Victron Orion charger. As you might guess, the nicest one is the Victron. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, got a Ecoflow Delta Mini - their app is really nice as well. Lots of settings, you can turn everything on and off on the outputs, and set charging watt levels for 12V and 120V in puts. I'm trying to figure out if it will connect with just BT, or if it has to be on an internet connected network - it made me setup both, and when I was away from the home network it wouldn't connect. Should have messed with it some more.

Software can be fussy for sure.

Last edited:
ok,, update >> Frustrated I brought my CC to work so that I can try to program it with a more modern computer ( WIN10 )
I got the software installed, and the USB drivers installed etc..
I have the CC connected to a 12v battery for programming purposes.
Right now the green led is flashing fast and the red led is blinking slow.. I expect this because the CC is expecting 48v
but the video from Epever says this 12v is ok for programming..
I have gotten to a point to where i can be connected and communicate some... i can Add Station, com port 3.
The controller will not read,,, Only thing i can do is Add station, System configuration ( success ), but i cannot Start monitoring, or set any parameters. ( Operation Failed ) I have tried everything i can think of,,, Do i need to actually connect 48v before i can change anything or what else can i try ?

Not sure which indicator lights you're referring to - on the controller itself? Or the program?
Are you going to charge at 48V nominal? Do you have it powered up with a 48V power supply? Is this a 48V compatible charge controller?

If the controller is power up with 12V, and you're connected to it with the RS485 cable, you will need to add a station. If it can't find one on com3 change ports till you can find it, and add station.

If the controller is not connected to solar panels you should still be able to set parameters. However I'm not sure about setting 48V parameters with it powered up with 12V.

On the main window of the program, in the upper right is the 'start monitoring'. If the program can communicate with the controller it will start monitoring - display the PV voltage and amps, battery (power source) amps and volts, in real time. Once your program is communicating, then you can select the menu for Parameters, then Control Parameters for lifepo - then the bottom menu on that window READ will import the set parameters of the controller. It will tell you if it's 12V or 48V, the model, charge capacity, and default charging parameters.

Not sure which indicator lights you're referring to - on the controller itself? Or the program?
Are you going to charge at 48V nominal? Do you have it powered up with a 48V power supply? Is this a 48V compatible charge controller?

If the controller is power up with 12V, and you're connected to it with the RS485 cable, you will need to add a station. If it can't find one on com3 change ports till you can find it, and add station.

If the controller is not connected to solar panels you should still be able to set parameters. However I'm not sure about setting 48V parameters with it powered up with 12V.

On the main window of the program, in the upper right is the 'start monitoring'. If the program can communicate with the controller it will start monitoring - display the PV voltage and amps, battery (power source) amps and volts, in real time. Once your program is communicating, then you can select the menu for Parameters, then Control Parameters for lifepo - then the bottom menu on that window READ will import the set parameters of the controller. It will tell you if it's 12V or 48V, the model, charge capacity, and default charging parameters.
Ok,, so many questions.. Overwhelming a little..
Ok,, yes leds on CC, see attachments..
Yes i plan to use for 48v use.. But from what i understand, i only need 12v to program.. I got com data, just can't communicate with the CC..
I know how the program works, when it's communicating.. I just can't figure out why I cannot communicate right now..

Attachments

• 20220309_140134.jpg
    20220309_140134.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220309_140210.jpg
    20220309_140210.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220309_141226.jpg
    20220309_141226.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 6
There’s a note in the instructions about baud rate or protocol. Allowing, etc.
I’ll look for it.

Found it...attached is the instruction manual for the software - it gets downloaded with the zip file with the app/program.
The second and third page has the driver setup for the USB port - you must activate communication by RS485. It is described and images confirming. I remember having to do this in order for the port to use the cable.

The device settings for USB also lists the uart driver for the com port, indicating which port it installed on. The assumption is that it's com 3, as the other two are likely default reserved for something else. Anyway, it's all diagrammed there, that should fix your connection to your controller.

You did get the proper RS485 cable and plug it into an open usb port on your computer, right?

It also details the parameters settings read and update process as well. And it's important to use the 'for lifepo' parameters as that turns on or off things specific for charging a LFP pack.

Attachments

• The Setup Steps and Use of Common Software1.pdf
    683.8 KB · Views: 19
There's nothing in the manual about setting up communications.
I had to look online, and i am correct about my settings. 115200 baud. I have checked other items, my 1st charge find is set as
ID 001, I have tried to connect to it as well, it won't communicate either..

Attachments

• 20220309_170333.jpg
    20220309_170333.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220309_170051.jpg
    20220309_170051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220309_170042.jpg
    20220309_170042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220309_170029.jpg
    20220309_170029.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
Found it...attached is the instruction manual for the software - it gets downloaded with the zip file with the app/program.
The second and third page has the driver setup for the USB port - you must activate communication by RS485. It is described and images confirming. I remember having to do this in order for the port to use the cable.

The device settings for USB also lists the uart driver for the com port, indicating which port it installed on. The assumption is that it's com 3, as the other two are likely default reserved for something else. Anyway, it's all diagrammed there, that should fix your connection to your controller.

You did get the proper RS485 cable and plug it into an open usb port on your computer, right?

It also details the parameters settings read and update process as well. And it's important to use the 'for lifepo' parameters as that turns on or off things specific for charging a LFP pack.
I'll look it over... I'm bout give up...

Did you check the box for RS485 in the windows device settings for the port your cable is plugged into? This is NOT done in the program, it's done in windows devices for that port.
Likely it's Com 3, so trying to connect on com 4 is not going to work. Open up your device settings for windows as the manual indicates, navigate to your USB ports com 3 for UART, right click to open settings, the second menu is port settings - checkbox RS485.

ADD a device in the EPEVER program for com 3. You might want to delete all the non-working ones you have setup already, just to declutter.

You seem to be just like my employees, and my wife - they reach a frustration point and it doesn't matter what happens they are blind with rage. My standard answer is to RE-BOOT. I'm the 'department of the reboot department' LOL.

Microsoft couldn't design a browser better than Google Chrome so they bought it from them and re-badged it as 'EDGE'. I have people argue about not wanting to use it, they want their old Chrome browser back. LOL

Last edited:
Here's the image out of the manual showing the RS485 check box in windows device manager. And we see that com 1 is reserved, as is com 2 for printers, and why the usb driver generally gets installed for com 3:

Did you check the box for RS485 in the windows device settings for the port your cable is plugged into? This is NOT done it the program, it's done in windows devices for that port.
Likely it's Com 3, so trying to connect on com 4 is not going to work. Open up your device settings for windows as the manual indicates, navigate to your USB ports com 3 for UART, right click to open settings, the second menu is port settings - checkbox RS485.

ADD a device in the EPEVER program for com 3. You might want to delete all the non-working ones you have setup already, just to declutter.

You seem to be just like my employees, and my wife - they reach a frustration point and it doesn't matter what happens they are blind with rage. My standard answer is to RE-BOOT. I'm the 'department of the reboot department' LOL.

Microsoft couldn't design a browser better than Google Chrome so they bought it from them and re-badged it as 'EDGE'. I have people argue about not wanting to use it, they want their old Chrome browser back. LOL
I appreciate you trying to help me, but yes, i am on the right com port.
I'm not ready to rage yet, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.. And yes i have rebooted the laptop..
And as for any browser use, i use firefox on this... J hit i dying think any of that matters right now, or?
I went over the instructions you posted earlier.. And it seems i am doing it right,
All data seems to match up. But nothing wants to talk..

Attachments

• 20220309_172343.jpg
    20220309_172343.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220309_170333.jpg
    20220309_170333.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220309_172156.jpg
    20220309_172156.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220309_172251.jpg
    20220309_172251.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220309_172334.jpg
    20220309_172334.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 6
I'd be willing to talk over the phone if you think that might help me better in real time.

Your third image is the right port setting window for windows OS - but for which port? The device manager list is out of frame.
Your fourth frame shows you setting the program port settings for com 4. Unless your usb driver was installed for com 4, it won't work. Show us your device settings for usb ports.

Ok,, a bit more info..
I think i got partial communication
I can view things under the parameter tab like, device parameters, system configuration, device info, i can see all that and i get Operation successful...
But system monitor shows no info.. It's all blank

Port settings are correct.. This info is current unit in operation.. I am able to communicate with it, but no monitor info

Attachments

• 20220309_174409.jpg
    20220309_174409.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220309_174519.jpg
    20220309_174519.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220309_174458.jpg
    20220309_174458.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220309_174421.jpg
    20220309_174421.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 5
You got it!
Under Station Information make sure you've selected the right com port. This is covered on page 4 of the instruction sheet.
There may not be anything to monitor if it's not connected to your system.
On the second image, make sure you're telling it to 'monitor' the right station name. I would name it so you can identify it, especially if you have more than one controller. Even just try 'stop monitor' then restart it.

Sometimes I get a com port error if I start the program and then plug in the cable. Connect the cable to controller and computer, then open the program, then tell it to monitor the right controller instance. That's why I would clean it all up to declutter. ADD your station and name it, make sure it's using com4.

Dangit, pictures didn't post
Port settings are correct.. I can read info of settings, but it will not show monitor info... Some pictures might be out of order..

Attachments

• 20220309_173627.jpg
    20220309_173627.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220309_174409.jpg
    20220309_174409.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220309_174421.jpg
    20220309_174421.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220309_174458.jpg
    20220309_174458.jpg