diy solar

diy solar

Estonian Solar Roof

MisterB1959

Solar Enthusiast
In the UK we have a programme called Grand Designs, basically following people either building their own 'designer' home or having it built for them. Its been going quite a few years and is quite popular.
On the latest episode, they were trying to build a home an advanced passive house and they had to have a home that produced 4 X the amount of power it would use. After a few 'iinvestigations' the owners settled on a roof system from Estonia, which looked really good, it was installed as a standing seam metallic roof but didnt really show the system itself in any great detail. Apparently the cost saving was considerable and produced in excess of 4 X.

Unfortunately i havent been able to find the actual roof system (not that i want one !!) but for anyone considering a new build/re roofing project, it might be worth tracking down - even just watching the episode (i think you should be able to find it somewhere on the internet if you have access to UK television (surfshark might help ....) might give you an idea, the installers actually travelled from Estonia to fit it.

The insulation levels were really important of course and they even used a special paint to seal the timber walls to reduce the passage of air!

I wanted to ask the same question - did you get any further in sourcing this solar roofing system from Estonia?

I was looking for details of an exterior paint used on one of the Grand Designs projects a few years ago and found a website which listed materials used. Too long ago to remember the site but the Channel 4 website would be a good place to start.

Hi - I contacted the company in Estonia, they directed me to a UK agent www.smartlyenergy.com. After a few back-and forth they quoted me ~£24k to install 4kW capacity on my new-build garage roof, 100m2 (half of which with PVs, other half just steel panels). Seems a lot to me given I could buy the steel panels tor 100m2 for £2.5k! (the first quote was £75k for 13kW array plus batteries!)

I bought 5kw of new panels for £1300 a year ago, cost £1000 for the ground mount materials and a few days of my time to put it all together.

Back