diy solar

diy solar

Everstart 29DC batteries from Walmart. What are they??

joeman205

I have 2 12V everstart 29DC batteries in parallel. I know they are deep cycle and provide around 110-120 amps.
My question is - are they flooded, AGM, Gel, or something else?

I have my solar controller set to AGM (it appears that it auto-recognized it). I feel like the controller is hurting the batteries because the performance has been declining the past month. Does anyone know if I should change to flooded or something else?

The settings = High volt disconnect 16V, Equalization is 14.8V, Float is 13.8V, Low disconnect is 11.8V, low reconnect 12.6V.

I have 2 435 watt LG bifacial panels in parallel. One gets the morning sun, the other gets the afternoon sun. My controller can handle the wattage and amps from the panels. The VOC is around 42V.

Any ideas or recommendations? It used to power my window AC for a few hours when sunny.

Thanks. My options are VRLA (assuming lead acid), liquid, gel VRLA, AGM, NiCd.

The default is AGM which they have as "lead acid free maintenance free battery"

What should I change it to?

VRLA would be closest.
Suggest you get a hydrometer and check the specific gravity.

What controller do you have?
How long does the controller run in absorbtion volts each day, absorbtion or boost volts, and what is this voltage set at?
What level of discharge occurs by morning?

My guess is that the batteries have been continually under charged and are slowly dying.

I had two of the Interstate 29DC batteries from Costco several years ago. They really suck for solar. Being marine/deep cycle batteries, I thought they'd last longer than the average SLA car battery. They didn't even last 6 months. Luckily Costco has a 12 month policy on batteries, so I just got new ones. Then 6 months later, same thing. After that I just sold the new replacements on Craigslist and went LiFePo4.

These are supposed to be maintenance free batteries so I am not sure if I can open them up...

Got a picture?

I ran those Walmart deep cycle batteries for over 15 years with solar before switching to lifepo4, and they all lasted at least 6 years with proper maintenance.

A flat screwdriver will pop those 2 long caps on top open and you can get to the water. Super easy, I've got about a dozen all total between systems.

Back