diy solar

diy solar

existing portable power stations with simultaneous 120VAC input and 240VAC output

rustythorn

not sure where commercially available portable power stations [aka solar generators] discussions should live so please move this thread if need be.

i'm hoping someone has already done some digging on this to save me time/hassle, i want to know the current/future portable power stations that can simultaneous receive 120 VAC [10 amp minimum, preferably 15+] input while outputting 240 VAC split phase. i know there are several models out their that can output 240 VAC split phase. most/all of these require two units hooked together some examples are from ecoflow, bluetti and hysolis but there are others. i'm hoping to find a setup that has total storage with 3-10 kwh and max output [240 VAC split phase] of 3-10 kw. many/all of these units have sketchy or hard to find info on how much input power can be supplied at 120 VAC while they are outputting 240 VAC.

the perfect unit for me would be one that allows enough 120 VAC [10-15 amp minimum] and solar input to equal to its 240 VAC output but i would settle for half. Will Prowse just did a video on the new updated Hysolis Apollo 5K set up as a pair for split phase 240 VAC and said it could be given 737 watts of 120 VAC [though the manual says 600 watts] while configured this way. if both units could each receive this for a total 1474 watts i would be happy but i've yet to get clarification on this. it would also be nice if one unit could be used instead of two, the new Anker SOLIX F3800 might work but info is still scarce.

TL;DR
the main question i'm asking is: when two units are paired for split phase output can each unit receive their own 120 VAC input? what is the total input and can that input be from the same outlet?

Last edited:
Is stepping up or down a single output voltage with a transformer an option? You're talking about using two power stations but maybe it would be easier to have a single larger one with an external transformer for specific loads. You can get a 5000W unit for less than $100.

Is stepping up or down a single output voltage with a transformer an option? You're talking about using two power stations but maybe it would be easier to have a single larger one with an external transformer for specific loads. You can get a 5000W unit for less than $100.
that was my original plan, however, this is for van so space and weight is a limitation. lets say i get ecoflow delta2 [2kwh, 2.4kw output, 50lbs] and a 5000 [aka 2500 continuous] watt transformer [20-25lbs]. i would much rather have two delta2's*, sure it would be a total of 100 lbs vs 70-75 lbs and a little bit more space, but i would be getting twice the battery, twice the power output AND the functionally of a transformer.

it is not quite and apples to apples but lets look at the delta pro + transformer. 99+(20 to 25) for 119-124 lbs for 3.6 kwh and 3.6kw output. less storage and output than two delta2's AND it is still heavier. i might eventually break even with a very large system but i want to keep things on the smaller side.

*NOTE: i don't know if the delta2's can be paired for split phase or if they can do what i want, i just grabbed it for an example because it would be an ideal size for me [4kwh, 4.8kw output]

i skipped talking about why i don't want to use a transformer initially to avoid cluttering my question but along that vein here are more details: i only need the unit to continuously output a minimum of 1500 watts at 240 VAC while drawing power a 120 VAC outlet, however, i also need 'short' duration** [2-4 hours] 240 VAC output with a minimum 3000-4000 watts. to get 2-4 hours at 3000-4000 watts i would need an 8-10 kw transformer which is even heavier and bigger than a 5 kw.

** i realize that a smaller unit outputing 240 VAC 3000-4000 watts for 2-4 hours without plugged into the grid will need a lot of solar

TL;DR for the same amount of storage and power output, a portable power station setup for split phase [even a two unit system] should be lighter than a single large power station with a transformer

Last edited:
*NOTE: i don't know if the delta2's can be paired for split phase or if they can do what i want, i just grabbed it for an example because it would be an ideal size for me [4kwh, 4.8kw output]
Delta 2/Delta2 max don't support split phase. Need dual Delta pros or I think one of the Delta ultras.

The forthcoming Anker Solix F3800 wheeleable will do 120/240V:

i had high hopes i even got the prime kickstarter bid, alas, on that page is:

"Can F3800 run 240V output and be charged simultaneously?

No, it cannot power 240V during recharging. The recharge voltage is 120V, so it can only bypass 120V power to the loads."

Back