diy solar

diy solar

External Multiplus shutdown suggestions?

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
I am planning on having a panel shut off switch outside. Got the Midnite unit.

The Multiplus allows for a control panel to be connected to it via Module H on the schematic. According to the Victron forum this can also be configured as a shut off switch.

I have yet to run my Emt and want to include a wire that can be run to the outside. Ideally it would integrate into the shut off switch, or another switch in the area. By activating it the inverter would be shut off should it become necessary in a fire fighting emergency.

I know firefighters pull the electrical meter. It would be cool if a micro switch could be used here but I am not sure this would be the best option.

Yes. There are three leads from what I have read. One source said that two leads can be used to form an on off switch. I am considering running outside speaker wire in my metal conduit with the other lines.

I don't remember. I only casually read through the manual for the Multi Control when I was trying to decide how to do my setup. I decided to do a raspi and Venus OS for monitoring/control and I never have come up with a way to make an external shut down, so curious about what you come up with. I can shut my system down from the VRM and since it is mostly for backup I hoped that would be good enough. But, There was a house fire in my neighborhood last night that got me to thinking about it again.

Aren't there terminals on the MultiPlus to directly connect an external on/off switch? (edit: that would be the H connector, which is for the external manual switch) I think the Digital Multi Control does not connect to the "H" connector.

Last edited:
So, to completely unconfuse myself. You can fit an external switch to the mulltiplus. That would use a wire to connector "H" on the Multi and a simple on/off switch of your choosing.

The Digital Multi Control is a remote control panel with on/off switch, indicator lights and a knob to adjust AC input amps. It also has contacts on the back and I confused that with the contacts on the MultiPlus that you were talking about.

This is on my list of things to look into as well, so I'll be very curious what you or anyone else comes up with.

Have a possible lead.

My system is standalone. I have grid and my system as separate units since I have separate breakers and wiring from my inverter to selected circuits so please consider this in your configuration, although I do have a grid feed for charging my batteries.

Here is what I am going to trial. I have ordered a current sensor switch. This will be "attached" to an ac line in the home. It is an "always closed" sensor which means when the current drops below a certain level it opens or turns off. Basically when the power goes out it will turn off and if successful will also turn off my Multiplus. Admittedly this is counterintuitive for those using the Multiplus as a UPS so this would not serve their purposes. Also this will not address the needs of those who use the Multiplus without grid and it is uncertain how things will work if there is grid feed. However if this works, I am hoping to place a switch closer to the Multiplus which will allow a manual override that I can later turn on or off.

Back