diy solar

diy solar

Extra panels on East and West facing vertical walls

james1

10 300+ watt panels from signature solar are so inexpensive, especially when they offer free shipping, so I was contemplating ordering 10 and placing 5 on an easy facing wall and 5 on West facing wall to add to my production. Live at latitude 35 degrees north.

And my current system can take the extra input with one more victron 150/35 or maybe 2. But it seems I can put both east and West strings into one charger controller in parallel since only 1 side will produce substantial power at a time .

Just wondering if it is worth it? Will the 1500 Watts on East side produce a substantial amount of power to help replenish my storage a lot more quickly in the morning? Or being vertical, not really? And will the 1500 Watts facing West help a lot to recover after the afternoon thunder showers?

And I won't put them on roof or build any more ground structures. This would just be extra

They sell angle brackets that you can get the panels to kick out a little bit to help boost production vs 100% vertical.

I would run both new arrays on one SCC.

Obligatory suggestion to run PVwatts for those scenarios. It’ll give you a season by season, hour by hour answer.

There’s not much on the market for turnkey, code compliant wall mounts last I checked

They sell angle brackets that you can get the panels to kick out a little bit to help boost production vs 100% vertical.

I would run both new arrays on one SCC.
@740GLE, happen to have a link? I was going to use unistrut with this hinges to do this.

Play around with this website. East and West facing panels can still produce a lot of power where you are located but being completely vertical will lose a lot. A 1.5kw set of panels at due East will produce the following over a whole year.

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

vertical ~1200 kWh
70 degrees ~ 1570 kWh
11 degrees ~ 2100 kWh

What issue are you trying to solve? You mentioned afternoon thunderstorms. Are you fully off grid and getting low on battery in the afternoon?

Play around with this website. East and West facing panels can still produce a lot of power where you are located but being completely vertical will lose a lot. A 1.5kw set of panels at due East will produce the following over a whole year.

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

vertical ~1200 kWh
70 degrees ~ 1570 kWh
11 degrees ~ 2100 kWh

What issue are you trying to solve? You mentioned afternoon thunderstorms. Are you fully off grid and getting low on battery in the afternoon?
Yes fully off grid. No real issues. Just nice to have more power but without building ground supports or putting on roof

diy solar

diy solar
Back