diy solar

diy solar

Fascinated Rookie from the Rocket City

PfloydBham

I am new to this group and I am just blown away at finding a group of people interested in developing solar applications for the common man. I have several projects starting that involve small systems. I hope to scale it up later as I get up to speed with what is possible and feasible for a real world application.
I recently put a Tesla battery pack in a Casita travel trailer and connected it to 4, 160 watt flex panels using an Epever 40 amp BN charge controller and a victron220 BP. The inverter is a Chinese PSW rated at 5000 continuous (pretty unlikely it will actually handle that much). I am using a black water tank heater for low temp protection, but I would like to find a suitable BMS. However, I am too green to fully understand what I need (and do not need). I also installed a DPDT relay in the shore power cable that switches to the tesla system when it is disconnected from the grid.
Any advise is appreciated.
I bought 4, brand new - 100 amp, Lifepo4 cells (Orient Power) from an estate yesterday and I intend to use them for outdoor lighting in central Alabama. Will probably draw less than 150 watts for a few hours at time plus motion sensor activity in an urban location. I think 1 - 100 watt panel should be adequate. What recommendations does anybody have for BMS with low temp cut off? I also have a $20 MPPT charge controller than is not programmable. Will a BMS provide the needed management to use these pieces together.
Can I use 4s balancer/BMS on a 3s battery pack? I have some Boston Power 5300 cells to combine as 3s and 5p. Will a larger BMS simply ignore the missinig cells or will that effect the preformance?
Sorry for all the questions. I just do not have anybody to talk to about solar applications around here.

Thanks,
Pink Floyd

Back