diy solar

diy solar

Feedback please: 50A RV LiFePO4 Electrodacus system

David S

Hello all, two questions to start here. This is for a 37' RV with 50A service. Please note: this diagram and setup are still evolving. I've not listed things like wire sizes and max amps yet, nor have I posted a loads chart to go along with the diagram, ala @Dhowman .

That said:

1) Feedback on this v.1 layout:

rvsolardiagram.png
2) Is there anything wrong with this bus bar setup for an Electrodacus rig. The two bus bars will be ¼" x 1 ½" and the two bars will be secured with an m12 with washers. It will be on the positive leg, per Electrodacus requirements:
busbars.jpg

Thanks!

The bus bars look fine.

Your fuse values are out of spec.
The orion 24/12-70 delivers 70a on the 12v rail (at 13.2v from the factory) It'll want to be fused at 30-40a on the 24v side. (35a fuses are annoying to locate)
The 24/3000/70 Multiplus wants a much bigger fuse on the 24v rail. I used a 300A ANL fuse per the manual.
The SBMS0 wants to never disconnect from the shunts, so you should install those immediately off the battery terminals.

I use a contactor switch to combine L1 and L2 for inverter only/hybrid operation. In one position I can use a full 50a feed, in the second, they are combined and I can run in hybrid mode using my single multiplus inverter.

The bus bars look fine.

Your fuse values are out of spec.
The orion 24/12-70 delivers 70a on the 12v rail (at 13.2v from the factory) It'll want to be fused at 30-40a on the 24v side. (35a fuses are annoying to locate)
The 24/3000/70 Multiplus wants a much bigger fuse on the 24v rail. I used a 300A ANL fuse per the manual.
The SBMS0 wants to never disconnect from the shunts, so you should install those immediately off the battery terminals.

I use a contactor switch to combine L1 and L2 for inverter only/hybrid operation. In one position I can use a full 50a feed, in the second, they are combined and I can run in hybrid mode using my single multiplus inverter.
Thanks for the feedback! I've seen the contactor switch arrangement and I'm intrigued. Planning for the biggest eventuality right now.

FYI, I opted to buy some 35a self resetting breakers for the 24v side of my 24/12 converter.
My multiplus uses an ANL fuse in a housing, easy.

When I wired my inverter, I ran 3/6+10awg ground cable from my main panel to my inverter, mounted the combiner switch above that. If I were to add a second inverter, it would be an easy job to remove the combiner switch and wire it in.
You may want to terminate it into a junction box and then run more flexible 6awg to the switch if that's what you want.

And yeah, you'll end up making changes later.
My first round - add the multiplus and kill off my cheaper inverter
second round - adding a 12/24 charger to keep things topped up when towing on bad weather days, removed my old FLA 12v and isolated my break away trailer brakes to a dedicated SLA/charger combo. Adding the victron mulitplus control panel for inside and fixing a couple of my other mistakes. Easy enough.

Back