diy solar

diy solar

Ferrites buzzing? Safe?

Ben2022

Ok so it was suggested I install ferrites on my AC incoming lines to help protect again energy spikes down the line. I also installed a whole home surge protector but said this will assist that as well.

So today I install 3 large ferrites on my utility incoming wires (bottom of pic 3rd one fell down) . L1 L2 and N. One on each, not one on both like with DC. Within 30 seconds of being on there they started buzzing like crazy. I’ve heard of DC buzzing but with this being AC I’m not sure.

Thoughts? Safe? Effective?

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 41
I think your bigger issue here is the fact that it's a Zinsco panel. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a much bigger issue at hand. Worthwhile to research Zinsco panel issues.

You could probably weld directly off that old 30A breaker...

Maybe I'm being dumb here, but it sounds like you just made a little transformer with the secondary shorted on each leg. AC going through the ferrite would generate a current if the ferrite is a closed conductor loop. That would generate heat in the ferrite and do nothing for quenching spikes.

Those ferrites are likely mix 43 type and will saturate at like 1A when clamped on one wire like that and do nothing to protect you. You want L1, L2 and N going through the same core to avoid saturation. But even then the protection they offer is tiny to none. Install proper 200kA AC surge arrestor and take those cores off.

I think your bigger issue here is the fact that it's a Zinsco panel. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a much bigger issue at hand. Worthwhile to research Zinsco panel issues.

You could probably weld directly off that old 30A breaker...
Yeah the pedestal panel has been there (so I’ve been told) since the first building was installed on the property in like 1974 by my wife’s grandfather. We bought the property clearsd it and built a new house. Now we are adding a shop and I’m going to put my solar secondary install in/on the shop. That’s how this all got started.

The breaker had to be increased to a 200 amp to account for the potential shop draw (the house doesn’t pull that much alone). The wiring for the new house, and new shop were already sized correctly but the house contractors never bothered to increase the breaker despite a license electrician recommending they do it assuming with all LEDs and what not it would be fine.

It sounds like I may need to look into swapping out my main pedestal. Unless you tell me it’s urgent that will have to wait due to $$. I will start googling the zinsco info though.

Any issues with the ferrites staying on for now?

Those ferrites are likely mix 43 type and will saturate at like 1A when clamped on one wire like that and do nothing to protect you. You want L1, L2 and N going through the same core to avoid saturation. But even then the protection they offer is tiny to none. Install proper 200kA AC surge arrestor and take those cores off.
This is what I bought ( Ferrite ). I planned on installing them on the solar lines too but of course can fit both - and + in them for that.

Edit: I also have one of these installed. It offered better protection than the whole home Seimans I found for basically the same price.

If you ever tried to sell the property I wouldn't be surprised if they insisted you replaced that Zinsco beforehand.

They do little to nothing to protect against lightning surge even if both +/- wires are ran through it. They "may" in theory offer some protection against nuke HEMP attack by slowing down pulse front to allow your SPD more time to react BUT that is obviously untested and snake oil territory. Don't waste your money.

If you ever tried to sell the property I wouldn't be surprised if they insisted you replaced that Zinsco beforehand.
Thanks for the heads up….some times I hate Google ? lol ? looks like I’m getting a quote to replace that service feed as soon as I can.

Edit: I also have one of these installed. It offered better protection than the whole home Seimans I found for basically the same price.
Too expensive, sounds like snake oil. Probably regular 200kA rated MOV surge arrester is all you need for surges from lightning or overvoltage.

They do little to nothing to protect against lightning surge even if both +/- wires are ran through it. They "may" in theory offer some protection against nuke HEMP attack by slowing down pulse front to allow your SPD more time to react BUT that is obviously untested and snake oil territory. Don't waste your money.
That was why they were suggested. To slow down any spikes to allow this Surge protector a better chance of working.

Right, but they way you have them installed defeats their efficacy.
Ok so they need to go over all conductors to be effective at all on AC just like DC?

Obviously that can’t happen where the black ones are installed but I can probably make that happen where the white ones are (I didn’t have larger ones at that time. The white ones were laying around) since I have the large ones now.

The money is spent so I can either find a use for them or maybe try to sell them. But if I can get any use from them I will so long as it’s safe. That’s the number one priority now.

Regarding the EMP shield. Specs show it does the same or better as the Siemens whole home surge protector. Plus they have military certs and lab reports available. I figure if it does the same great, if it does better then fantastic.

Their certs are the snake oil. Their test board is a breaker panel with 250ft of romex, their testing started with 3ft of wire on the device and ended with about an inch of wire...their scope probe is from the 70's...gosh where does the scam end????

Edit: But they have a patent! (but won't share the case number)

Back