diy solar

diy solar

few questions about solar power....

Charging the battery while connected to the UPS might damage the UPS. Just depends on the charge circuit.

The UPS presumably expects a much smaller battery than you 100ah of capacity. If the UPS charge circuit expects a 7ah battery it will only put out around 1/2 amp of current. But it wouldd be build with the idea that the battery will be topped up in only a couple of hours. But yours would run until it over heats. If that happens enough it will burn that out.

Small ups are almost always the type that run from wall power and just trickle charge the to keep them topped up, or recharge after an outage a few times a year. If you deliberately run from battery all the time it may as well be an inverter. It will overheat after enough time.

charged the ups battery and dropkicked into the new ups... the intex one.. i even unplugged the ups from the wall.. and everything lasted for 2 seconds.. also i ordered a 12v 9ahups battery to replace this one...i think i damaged it with sheer stupidity...
and i might go buy a BOSCA 500 watt inverter tomorow or after tomorow.. on the box it does have a fan on it...
BOSCA... 500W
SAA 500AF...
hope that tells you something :)

Charging the battery while connected to the UPS might damage the UPS. Just depends on the charge circuit.

The UPS presumably expects a much smaller battery than you 100ah of capacity. If the UPS charge circuit expects a 7ah battery it will only put out around 1/2 amp of current. But it wouldd be build with the idea that the battery will be topped up in only a couple of hours. But yours would run until it over heats. If that happens enough it will burn that out.

Small ups are almost always the type that run from wall power and just trickle charge the to keep them topped up, or recharge after an outage a few times a year. If you deliberately run from battery all the time it may as well be an inverter. It will overheat after enough time.
oh im sorry at this point and time the only way i will connect my ups to my power bank is via an inverter...

just to add.. i kinda solved my computer components shocking me issue when using grid power.. just a wire from ground prong straight to the floor... so far so good...

charged the ups battery and dropkicked into the new ups... the intex one.. i even unplugged the ups from the wall.. and everything lasted for 2 seconds.. also i ordered a 12v 9ahups battery to replace this one...i think i damaged it with sheer stupidity...
and i might go buy a BOSCA 500 watt inverter tomorow or after tomorow.. on the box it does have a fan on it...
BOSCA... 500W
SAA 500AF...
hope that tells you something :)
I've never tried the BOSCA inverter, but having a fan sounds promising for keeping things cool.

So far, everything does function, my only issue at the moment is that the 3-4 solar panels I have going to the mppt do not supply enough to balance the150 to 200 watts that I'm actually pulling My next step would have to determine exactly how much each panel is providing and if 1 has at least 50 watts, nab 2 of those, unless you say otherwise

That inverter price converts to $17.09 -- Seems pretty cheap - but will see if it performs without smoking

so am i to understand that if i connect a 500 watt inverter to any power bank the moment i flip the switch.. it will pull 500 watts into its circuitry ?.. and afterwards it only pulls from the power bank whatever is consumed by whatever is plugged into the inverter ??.. sorry. this whole thing is still a learning process for me....

No, if you plug the inverter to the battery there is some minor draw fornthe inverter circuitry. Only when you add a load does it draw more. So you should be able to plug in or turn on items one at a time and see what it can run, give it a few minutes between each.

No, if you plug the inverter to the battery there is some minor draw fornthe inverter circuitry. Only when you add a load does it draw more. So you should be able to plug in or turn on items one at a time and see what it can run, give it a few minutes between each.
thank you for clearing that up.. i thought i had fixed my electrical problems but it appears that i havent... gooing to sacrifice a few goats and try to install a GFCI outlet into the wall...

and now for todays question if i havent done so already.. and forgive me if i already asked this.. can i use the 500 watt inverter (connected to my power bank naturally) while charging it with my high amperage "smart" charger ? i ask this because apperantly i can use the inverter while the mppt is sending power to the same battery bank... .. and even on my UPS.. i feel a rude buzz if i just touch just ONE battery terminal exact same buzz i felt when i used my power bank as a ups battery before.. it isnt excrutiating... but isnt pleasant either.... hardly 220v shock... if the buzzing is constant.. doesnt that mean im getting "electrical faults" constantly ??? meaning the GFCI would power off every 5 seconds... or am i understanding this wrong ???

and obviously.. i wont charge the power bank from 2 separate sources... ie.. solar and smart charger..

just touched the positive terminal of my ups battery.. no shock.. perhaps the ups has stoppped charging the ups battery

your thoughts please
and yes i would LOVE to dig a hole 1 meter deep and jam a copper rod in there and have it function as a "ground" but my landlord is rather strict you see.. im lucky i have permission to replace just a single outlet for the gfci..

but.. NO BSOD in some time.. however.. linux doesnt exactly have BSOD.. :/

You buzz is most likely caused by the PWM. It won't hurt the battery. I dunno about the inverter. I suspect not, only on way to find out.

got my 500watt BOSCA dc to ac inverter... pc/moniotor/modem running sans issues for an hour.. however i imagine i have insufficient solar power traveling to my MPPT to keep up with the 200-250 watts that im pulling RN... which is why i placed an order for an additional 300watt solar panel.. although its physical dimensions indicate nothing above 50 watts.. i doubt China is that far ahead of the game :)
this particular inverter has a fan in the rear therefore it isnt hot to the touch..

silly question but.. if most or all inverters have a grounding slot.. where does that go exactly ???there is very little contact between my solar setup... and the ground floor...

and PS...i feel ZERO shocks touching my computer.. this is good :)

got my 500watt BOSCA dc to ac inverter... pc/moniotor/modem running sans issues for an hour.. however i imagine i have insufficient solar power traveling to my MPPT to keep up with the 200-250 watts that im pulling RN... which is why i placed an order for an additional 300watt solar panel.. although its physical dimensions indicate nothing above 50 watts.. i doubt China is that far ahead of the game :)
this particular inverter has a fan in the rear therefore it isnt hot to the touch..

silly question but.. if most or all inverters have a grounding slot.. where does that go exactly ???there is very little contact between my solar setup... and the ground floor...

and PS...i feel ZERO shocks touching my computer.. this is good :)

If you havent got a ground pin in your outlets you have nothing to ground to.

2h 30min voltage has dropped to 11,9.. i call that a mild sucess.. hopefully the solar panel on its way to me know can balance this out...

Back