diy solar

diy solar

Finding the right size panel for the job. Truck camper

Rawse

Adding solar to my truck camper and obviously have veryimited space for panels. Roof space is 52" x 120" across both the roof of the truck and camper shell. The best option i have come up with as far as panel dimensions is four Renogy 175w panels giving me 700w. Each panel is 50" x 28" staying under the 52" width of the vehicle. I'm not stoked about using Renogy panels. I have searched Google and this forum looking for other panel options. The only other option is six 100w panels that will take up more space and produce 100w less in total. If anyone has any insight or input it would be greatly appreciated.

Signature solar has some interesting sized panels. Unfortunately the cost not comparable to the big sized panels...less watts for more money. I've been checking them out for my next page of panel install. Not sure if thesesolve your problems.
Also found newpowa had some unique sizes but I was skeptical about the power ratings given the sizes and overall quality.

One large, 550 watt panel will give you plenty of power for a 12 volt, truck set up. Wiring and mounting is so much simpler and cost effective compared to multi small 12 volt panels, fusing and excess hardware.
Thank you for the suggestion. It seems this is probably the best option. Its a slight compromise as far as output but the money saved makes it the smart choice. I hadn't looked at prices of 550w panels. I'll save about $400-$500 on panels and as you pointed out save even more on wiring, fuses, mc4 connectors, and crimper.

I saw that Canadian Solar has a 600w plus panel. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a single panel.

Signature solar has some interesting sized panels. Unfortunately the cost not comparable to the big sized panels...less watts for more money. I've been checking them out for my next page of panel install. Not sure if thesesolve your problems.
Also found newpowa had some unique sizes but I was skeptical about the power ratings given the sizes and overall quality.

Thanks for the heafs up. Unfortunately these panels have the same dimensional issues. It just seems to be the standard layout of the cells isn't a useful size in my situation.

Is there any concern over the very large panel in regards to road vibration/flexing/hail compared to smaller panels? No idea, just asking.

Is there any concern over the very large panel in regards to road vibration/flexing/hail compared to smaller panels?
This issue has been discussed in other threads for vehicle mounted systems. Nobody could provide an instance where panels were damaged because the larger surface area presented a weak point. The vehicles suspension should do most of the work. You also drive a RV or camper a lot more reserved than a regular car so you shouldnt be hopping curbs or plowing through potholes. The only reasonable arguments against using larger panels is, 1: larger panels are heavier and requires more than one person for installation or maintenance, and 2: if a panel were to separate from the vehicle while traveling and the safety tether fail you have a much larger projectile potentially damaging other vehicles pedestrians etc.

Back