diy solar

diy solar

First build/test and the BMS already saved me...

walter-

I did my first 4s test build with Lishen 272ah and the BMS already saved me during load test.

I had put some tape on the busbars to reduce risk of a short circuit.
But I managed to have a little of the tape on one terminal between the terminal and the busbar. No issue at charging at 40A.
But when I did a loadtest with 180A, after 3min, the BMS shutdown (panic; is this 250A BMS any good ;-))....
Me confused; didn't see the issue; started the test again; and then I heard some noice from the battery bank. It was melting/burning plastic between busbar and terminal that cause vibration of the busbar on the terminal. No wonder the BMS shutdown (I guess either because voltage of the cell dropped too much or the overall voltage dropped; pity the app is not telling this).

I fixed the issue, replaced the stud, the terminal looked undamaged. Third load test went very well.

Things learned:
- check and recheck the terminal connections
- high currents are dangerous.
- when you do a load test, the sound of the heat gun could prevent you from hearing issues...
- when you do a load test and measure the energy; make sure your energy meter remembers the measurements when the inverter shuts down...

I ran the test against an Ective CSI 20 (a 230V/2000W Sinus inverter and battery charger)

Back