diy solar

diy solar

First post, first solar project, very basic - Please critique / questions before buying

Grid's pretty good here. Over half on renewables, over 25% by wind turbines and almost 25% on hydroelectric. I've never lost power for more than a few hours and that was once in four years.
Will be difficult to justify a backup system for the seldom outages. Here on the hurricane coast I have a 12V 35AH system to take my office off-grid [gateway drug system]. For the whole house a 48V golf cart with 105AH server rack battery powers my 2800W UPSverter and back-feeds my breaker panel.

Attachments

• 12V UPS.jpg
    12V UPS.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 12V power port.jpg
    12V power port.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Case Fan.JPG
    Case Fan.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
  • rollers.jpg
    rollers.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2
Will be difficult to justify a backup system for the seldom outages. Here on the hurricane coast I have a 12V 35AH system to take my office off-grid [gateway drug system]. For the whole house a 48V golf cart with 105AH server rack battery powers my 2800W UPSverter and back-feeds my breaker panel.

Heh, yeah this little project will likely be the gateway drug. This area is pretty consistently windy though; I think if I do anything for home backup I'll include a couple small vertical axis wind turbines as well as solar.

Forgive my ignorance but what's the purpose of the golf cart?

Forgive my ignorance but what's the purpose of the golf cart?
Primary purpose is an electric vehicle for cruising the neighborhood. However during grid-down its a self-propelled power station with 5KWH battery pack, 400W of solar panels and 120V inverter. Powered my house and kept the furnace on during the Great Houston Freeze.

Attachments

• Houston snow.jpg
    Houston snow.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back