diy solar

diy solar

First question for a Beginner

ebelew

Just getting started. A friend passed away and his wife gave me all his solar project toys. I've always be interested in doing this and he an I talked a lot about it.
My question is what matches, what do I keep or divide into groups so I don't burn anything up during the learning process. I'm still searching the forum and reading all the beginners post.

Right now the goal is to learn. I'm not trying to wire a cabin or camper at this point. This is the opportunity for me to learn theory, hookup, wiring and results. So I'm open to what to keep and what to get rid of.

Inventory includes:

2 - Renogy 100W monocrystalline solar panels:
Maximum Power - 100 W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) - 24.3 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) - 2 x 2.73 A
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp) - 20.3 V
Maximum Power Current (Imp) - 2 x 2.47 A
(Although the sticker on the panels read a little different)

1 - EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller W/Remoter Meter
Rated Charge Current: 30A
Rated Load Current: 20A
Max PV Open Circuit Voltage: 150V / 138V
Max PV Input Power: 390W (12v battery)

1 - Victron MPPT 100/30
Maximum PV voltage - 100V
Maximum - 30A
Suitable battery voltages - 12V/24V
Minimum Fuse Rating - 35A
Maximum Battery Fuse Rating - 40A

1 - Morningstar - ProStar PS-30 Charge Controller

1 - Xantrex PROwatt SW Sine Wave Inverter (PROwatt SW100) W/Remote Meter

2 - LiTime 12 50Ah LiFePO4 Batteries

1 - LiTime 14.6V 10A LiFePO4 Battery Charger

Thanks

Lots of info on YouTube. Bit difficult to suggest what to bin unless you say what you're trying to do. I wouldn't get rid of anything until I've at least got something set up, in case I need to add to it!

Don't bin anything - it's all useful and good quality stuff!!
(Not the usual "XZZYFOO" brands you see on Amazon.)

First thing to do is to see if there are manuals for everything, if not, download some.

You'll need a little test gear (like a digital volt/amp meter, and a Klll-A-Watt meter) if you don't already have those, plus some
hand tools. That will be inexpensive.

Since it may have been sitting for some time, I would use the charger to charge the batteries (one at a time) before doing anything else.
Then connect the inverter to the batteries and you'll already have some power in an outage. Add the panels and controller later. A step at a time makes it easy.

Follow directions in the docs or from Will Prowse YouTubes. Check everything twice (or 3 times). Use fuses!

Last edited:
Don't bin anything - it's all useful and good quality stuff!!
(Not the usual "XZZYFOO" brands you see on Amazon.)

First thing to do is to see if there are manuals for everything, if not, download some.

You'll need a little test gear (like a digital volt/amp meter, and a Klll-A-Watt meter) if you don't already have those, plus some
hand tools. That will be inexpensive.

Since it may have been sitting for some time, I would use the charger to charge the batteries (one at a time) before doing anything else.
Then connect the inverter to the batteries and you'll already have some power in an outage. Add the panels and controller later. A step at a time makes it easy.

Follow directions in the docs or from Will Prowse YouTubes. Check everything twice (or 3 times). Use fuses!
Good advice. I'll pick up the meter. I'm an IT guy and an old car mechanic so I'm going to start putting my Fluke 87 to good use again.

Good advice. I'll pick up the meter. I'm an IT guy and an old car mechanic so I'm going to start putting my Fluke 87 to good use again.
So you already know the #1 rule: don't short the battery!

Back