diy solar

diy solar

First time Solar setup need some help .willing to learn

Kay1234

image.jpgHi I am trying to find the right mcb breaker and change controller for my 24v 100w solar panel.does anyone have any advise on what the specs should be . I’ve done some research and a 20a breaker between the solar panel and charge controller should be ok?

I’ve attached a photo of my solar panel.

Just out of curiosity, what do you expect to power with this?
Do you have a battery voltage or size or brand in mind?

For now as this is my first project just to power a tv and console and lights . I have 2 12v 100ah battery . And not to fussed on the brand .image.jpg

I have 2 12v 100ah battery
2x 12V x 100Ah = 2400Wh but 50% usable makes it 1200Wh.

1200Wh battery / 100W solar panel = 12h to recharge in OPTIMAL conditions.

Let me guess tv, console and lights amount to 300W when running.

1200Wh battery / 300W load = 4h runtime.

100W panel sounds like 1/4 to 1/10th what you might need.

300w sounds about right when running . I’m looking for at least 8 hours run time and abit less then 12h to recharge .

Would you suggest more battery’s ? Or just get 3 more 100w panel?

Or just get 3 more 100w panel?
Is there a reason you like small panels instead of something like a big cheap (if available?) panel?

Even 400W total likely insufficient, especially in summer.

To run 8h:
300W x 8h = 2400Wh
This is at least double your battery capacity.
If in England, on a sunny day in winter you’d get less that 2h of quality solar. Maybe 4 in summer on a bright sunny day with panels angled perfectly at sun.
Even with 4h, you’d likely need 1000W to fully charge more than half the time. Expecting 100% is not realistic in Arizona so in the UK, it’s worse.

Let’s conjure @SeaGal to add some local perspective.

Let’s conjure @SeaGal to add some local perspective.
"Ready for action, Ryder, sir!"...

I can certainly give some input on solar yield in the UK, but not so familiar with 12V and Lead Acid systems - I have 6kWp of panels and 48V grid-tied inverter.

@Kay1234... welcome! Can you share a bit more about what your project is for. You say "TV and console and lights"... is this for a mobile application (boat / motorhome) or a cabin / garden shed?

When will you want to power said devices? Summer only, 9 months of year, all year round? Is there back up power for rainy days / several cloudy days in a row. Or is it weekend use only?

Sorry, so many questions, but also so many variables. I only got 1.8kWh of generation from 6kWp of panels on dark rainy day 2 weeks ago, compared to 16kWh last Friday and a daily peak of 40kWh during sunny days last summer.

Back