diy solar

diy solar

First Timer - off grid cabin

bbeck317

My family have been building an off grid cabin going on 2 years. Dad is a contractor so we have some fun resources but for the most part doing the work ourselves as a family. After several failed attempts to get a solar contractor to engage in the off grid project, I credit Will’s videos for giving us the confidence to diy it. We turned the power on today and I couldn’t be happier!

System:
Signature Solar
2 x EG4 6500
20kwh, EG4 LL battery bank
24 x 385 ms Canadian Solar monocryst
4 x series of 6:
— 41.4V x 6 = 248 @ 8.42a = 2091w
— 2091w x 4 parallel = 8366 w

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpeg
    IMG_2183.jpeg
    887.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2178.jpeg
    IMG_2178.jpeg
    859.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2177.jpeg
    IMG_2177.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2142.jpeg
    IMG_2142.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Only issue after pulling the trigger and turning on for the first time was a comm error 61 between the inverters and batteries. I had interpreted the manual backwards with regard to the dip switches. AND I had the Ethernet cable backwards (which still confuses me how that is possible) but after a few hours of auditing and more online video watching, I cleared the error and have it humming.

Wow nice job! You are going to be loving that. It seems unreal to be living normally, I have a 1/2hp 220V deep well pump and use welders and things. Flipped the Main breaker off on Aug. 21st, mea culpa I did turn it back on a few times when I was going through the growing pains of a totally home grown system. Damn satisfying. Max out your PV input as panels are cheap. Get those batteries charged back up ASAP when the sun comes up. Welcome to the forum, great knowledge bank, good luck.

Back