diy solar

diy solar

Flex or non-flex panels for RV?

amt

Hello. Soon I will be adding solar PV to my motorhome (45-ft class-A). I have a pretty good amount of room on my roof, since my air conditioners are not on the roof. I intend to add as much solar PV as space will allow, possibly 4kW if I can fit it (perhaps 3kW if I am being more realistic). I am, however, currently not sure to use flexible or non-flexible panels. The flexible panels seem more practical, assuming I can walk on them, but I am concerned that the life of the panel could be much worse than non-flex. Disadvantage for the non-flex would be: probably more complicated mounting, plus can't walk on them. Also seems like the watt/space is not as good for flexible. Comparing Renogy flex to non-flex:

flex: 175w, 59.2"x26.5", watts/sqft: 16.06
non-flex: 175w, 52.2"x26.3", watts/sqft: 18.35

IMO, it's a pretty sizable difference in watts/sqft.

Just wondering if anyone has a preference here, or had some regrets about going flex or non-flex.

Thanks.

If you can, stay away from flexible panels...
Although they are more lightweight, but they are also less efficient and less durable.

If you will stand on a flexible panel, you will cause micro cracks in the cells, which of course is not good.

They are also more expensive than equally rated rigid/glass panels.

They usually have only a 5 year warranty, as opposed to 10-20 year output warranty on rigid panels.

I think rigid panels are also easier to mount. With flexible panels you need to glue them, which also decreases efficiency because of heat buildup and no air flow underneath.
Rigid panels can be mounted using various brackets.

I've been using flexible panels for a while (although not on an RV) and I'm really disappointed with thier performance.
Getting around 50-60% of thier rated output.
I think this is due to them being on a flat surface with no airflow, and maybe micro cracks due to some bending.

I had 2 100w flex panels fastened to the roof of my job trailer with 6 screws and fender washers for 2 years without any issues.
This summer I was driving down the road at 60 mph only to hear some strange noise followed by one of the panels flying off the roof.
When I got home I inspected the roof to see what happened. I found 6 screws and fender washers still attached with pieces of the panel still fastened under each. Looking at the 2nd panel I found the plastic spider cracked and the panel delaminating. Needless to say I removed it and the broken pieces and replaces it with a rigid 175w panel I had.
One problem I found with the 100w flex panels was they only want to put out about 18v peak which would work fine with a PWM charge controller but I had to run them in series as I wanted to use a MPPT charge controller I had.

I plan to use flexible panels simply because of the weight.... My project is much smaller than most though, solar charged go kart that only weighs 500 pounds.

knocking 100 pounds off the highest point of the kart will be nice

Don't see how losing a couple hundred pounds off of something weighing over a ton would be worth it

I am leaning towards flexible panels, because I don't want to store the trailer with them on, and a few of the places I dry camp have a very low tree canopy, one less thing to worry about breaking as I drive into the woods. At 6 lbs. apiece, if I set things up properly, I think I could park, and set up 4 panels pretty quickly, and reverse the process when leaving. I can also set up a few side, front and back wall mounting positions depending on how the trailer is parked. Can also use them for other remote power usage when the trailer stays home. I am depending on about 40A through my DC/ DC charger from the tow vehicle alternator (setting that up is the spring project)

Back