diy solar

diy solar

For sale: two 12v 100ah LiFePO4 drop-in batteries. Asking 500 ea, shipping extra

njpomeroy

Hi, all! I've decided to sell two new, never used Ruixu 12v 100ah LiFePO4 batteries I bought 6 months ago as a project (and haven't gotten around to).

I'm asking $500 each plus actual shipping costs (in whatever way you want to pay for shipping).

Right now they are in Utah (zip 84604), so local pickup could be also an option.

Yes, they are not BBs but they are substantially cheaper. Yes, you can probably DIY something with better specs or construction for the same price, but these are already completed And ready to use.

KWh = (V * Ah / 1000), so...

$Price / ( V * Ah / 1000 ) =

If you're pricing by "nominal voltage" V is 12. So, 500/(12*100/1000) = $416.67
If you're pricing by actual voltage, V is 13.5 . So 500/(13.5*100/1000) = $370.37

Dear @njpomeroy
Last year Bloomberg Finance New Energy (BFNE) publish a report where the mean of the World Market for Lithium-Ion battery price was $US156/KW. And predicted a $US100 price in 2023.
Tesla and GM already had this since the last years.
https://insideevs.com/news/400529/tesla-battery-costs-dropping/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31226611/gm-ultium-electric-vehicle-battery-revealed/
https://www.electrive.com/2020/02/27/can-tesla-batteries-cost-less-than-100-dollars-per-kwh//

Hopefully for consumer this occur far before.
And more, with the Covid-19 crisis, we already find retail LiFePo in the $US 85 KWh who's similar and competitive with lead acid battery. So, with good BMS, we can charge at maximum 90% and discharge at 20%
so using 70% of the cell. This way, we can have 4000-6000 cycles.

Hope in the future, you'll have competitive price.
Best Regards,

Cool.
What retail LiFePO4 12v drop in replacement batteries cost $85/KWh? Names, brand, availability, etc. Please share your retail, complete, consumer product source.

What does a discharge profile and cycle count have to do with anything? Why are you citing prices from THE FUTURE (2023) as justification of a price per KWh today?
While you're at it, please contact BattleBorn, Relion, Lion Energy, Renogy, Ruixu, and the others, to tell them to all re-price their batteries according to your report about battery prices in 2023.

From what I've found, used Tesla battery packs are about $300/kwh, but they are not replacements for existing 12v battery systems in any way. They need DIY conversion, coolant, custom BMS programming, etc. If they are the gold standard for "competitive price" (you reference 2 links with them, and another link with a phantom, unavailable future battery), you haven't taken into account all the post-purchase engineering time needed to make them work in (for example) an RV, boat, or small solar setup. You didn't even know how to calculate the cost per KWh from all the information the listing gave, so I KNOW you can't engineer the Tesla packs to work for you.

It's OK for you to not be in the market for a 12v drop-in battery, and for you to move along without shitting on what someone else is selling.
It's dumb to fault an offer for not being price competitive with a non-existent, future unicorn of an electric car battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzl
Several person on this forum already buy 3.2V 280Ah LiFePo4 cell for cost ranging from $US 74-85 per cell. A simple search on the forum will lead you to theses posts. Yes, far before 2023 we already have $US85/KWh at cell level. And, don't forget this forum is a DIY, so users are buying cell and BMS to mount their own pack.
Best Regards,

Yes, I saw that post with the low-cost cells, too (remember to multiply by 4 for to get a 12v battery). That cost didn't include the $200-300 shipping and duties to the US either (as listed in that same posting), or the $100 BMS to make the cells function as a battery. Or reports in that same posting about the time-wasting experiences of people not being able to place an order easily due to language, shipping, or trade problems.

Yes, it's a DIY forum. DIY doesn't always mean "DIY-battery," it can also mean "DIY-system," or "DIY-enthusiast/hobbyist", or similar.

Again, you're comparing very different things. ("I'm selling an apple." "You can plant your own apple seed, grow a tree and harvest many apples for a seed-price of 1/100 of the price of an apple! Oh, yeah, and my price per seed is from the future.")

You haven't justified your critique of the item on offer with a retail, complete battery for the pricing that you claim you want. (You can't. Retail 12v drop-in LiFePO4 batteries are $650-$1100 for 100 Ah in the US market.)

Frankly, I don't want you to justify it; I just want you to decide that a 12v drop in was not what you were in the market for, and move along and feel bad about your weird scolding of me for selling a couple of unused batteries at below-market rate for what they are.

Good and fair price on 2 unused 100ah Ruixus.
I have one that I upgraded The BMS and it functions Quite well. Fair price for Ruixu’s. The cells are high quality. The bummer is they likely have the questionable BMS that Will exposed in his tear down and I had Opened mine and the questionable BMS was mine ☹️
It was my understanding Ruixu slipped them in from late September 2019 Simple quality BMS replacements with low temp protection for them is about <$200> and then they rock. ⚡⚡️?
Pretty simple change out if you open the case carefully. Bam ? great drop in battery ?
The only reason I’m mentioning this
They’re pretty infamous on this forum.

Last edited:
Dear @njpomeroy
Last year Bloomberg Finance New Energy (BFNE) publish a report where the mean of the World Market for Lithium-Ion battery price was $US156/KW. And predicted a $US100 price in 2023.
Tesla and GM already had this since the last years.
https://insideevs.com/news/400529/tesla-battery-costs-dropping/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31226611/gm-ultium-electric-vehicle-battery-revealed/
https://www.electrive.com/2020/02/27/can-tesla-batteries-cost-less-than-100-dollars-per-kwh//

Hopefully for consumer this occur far before.
And more, with the Covid-19 crisis, we already find retail LiFePo in the $US 85 KWh who's similar and competitive with lead acid battery. So, with good BMS, we can charge at maximum 90% and discharge at 20%
so using 70% of the cell. This way, we can have 4000-6000 cycles.

Hope in the future, you'll have competitive price.
Best Regards,
why do you believe its not a good price for these batteries?

This thread goes back to June and that's when @htdcuser was last seen browsing the forum. I would ignore him and his comments as the price for the batteries is fair IMO. I don't know what his motive was or why he wandered into a thread he had no business posting in because he had no interest in buying the batteries. The question should be are these batteries still for sale?

This thread goes back to June and that's when @htdcuser was last seen browsing the forum. I would ignore him and his comments as the price for the batteries is fair IMO. I don't know what his motive was or why he wandered into a thread he had no business posting in because he had no interest in buying the batteries. The question should be are these batteries still for sale?
thanks for your opinion. the batteries are still for sale. Can you tell me why you believe its a fair price? These batteries are $700/ea so when someone is selling for $900 less than they paid I believe red flags should go up.

$900.00 less? In the OP he stated he is selling each battery for $500.00. That's $200.00 less for each battery, or $400.00 less if buying both batteries.

He dropped the price again. Can you answer my previous question?
No because I don't know what you all are discussing privately. And I can only go by the OP's post. If the price is $500 for both then I would be cautious. But even if both BMS's are bad, and I am not saying they are in any way, it's still a good deal. Of course there is still risk involved.

Did he send you photos of the batteries? And if using paypal will you be protected? I am also curious why he hasn't updated the new price in this thread?

something is TERRIBLY not adding up here. So if the BMS is bad just replace them?

Another guy is selling the prismatic cells. Eight for like a little over $100 each. 3.2v 280Ah but these you'd need BMS and the whole nine yards.

Back