diy solar

diy solar

Frankenbattery, better have 16s or 2*8s in series?

Luk88

Solar Enthusiast
I have to build a frankenbattery as I'm upgrading the 24V part of my system to 48V. I doubt I can get a good resale value for my diy 24V battery so I decided to get 8 more cells and make it into a 16S. But the cells I can get now are bigger.

Old cells are 8x 280ah Higee cells (I also have another 16s built with them). New cells are Eve mb31 314ah. Of course I know the entire battery will be 280AH and I need to set the voltage cutoff accordingly.

I'm starting this thread to ask if there are any other things I should consider. I thought it better to put all 16 cells on one bms so it has complete visibility. But maybe not? I do have two BMSes so I could do it that way.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for this? I can't think of any problems (as long as I keep the cutoff voltage higher) other than already mentioned. Perhaps there is some clever solution I'm not aware of to charge the smaller cells from the big ones to gain half of their capacity difference? (Probably not).

I would just get 16 cells and have the 314 amp hour battery

If you had a use for 12 V you could make the old pack of 4S2P

I would just get 16 cells and have the 314 amp hour battery

If you had a use for 12 V you could make the old pack of 4S2P
Sorry, my accountant says I've exhausted my hobby budget for the rest of the year already 🤣

Edit: I saw a very good "Frankenstein battery" series from Andy (off grid garage) on youtube. He proves this is a viable option. So hopefully this thread will gather tips for people like myself that want to do this.

Sorry, my accountant says I've exhausted my hobby budget for the rest of the year already 🤣
I always wanted to build a powered recliner out of a power wheelchair and put a lithium 24v in it

My current shop recliner has 3 inch wheels on it when the weather's nice I roll it outside and have my coffee in the morning

But if it was powered with a big old lithium battery I could put a receiver hitch on it and tow a trailer and use it to pick up limbs and go get the mail

Last edited:
I always wanted to build a powered recliner out of a power wheelchair and put a lithium 24v in it

My current shop recliner has 3 inch wheels on it when the weather's nice I roll it outside and have my coffee in the morning

But if it was powered with a big old lithium battery I could put a receiver hitch on it and tow a trailer and use it to pick up limbs and go get the mail
I want a video please when it's finished ...😁

diy solar

diy solar
Back