diy solar

diy solar

Free Residential Solar Design Software, options?

Greck1982

Seems like there are a lot of options for business and I requested a few demos, but I wasn't able to find anything yet that helps create project docs that I can submit to get the permit. Please advise.

but at least something to visualize the components and connection of the system, connection to the main panel and etc...

If everyone lived in little pink houses it would be easy. Everything is unique for every project. Solar panels have different specs, inverters too, wire length varies from house to house, and battery needs vary. It's all a one-off, non-repeatable stuff. Those with the credentials to do the calculations and stamp the plans require payment for their education, skills, and know-how.

I'm not asking for a magic wand to autogenerate documentation for me, I'm looking for a tool that people are using to create a project's documentation. The content, specifics of the hardware, and local AHJ are something I can input into the tool by myself.

Posted 3 hours earlier:

that is really funny, Thank you for the sarcasm.

I worked with tesla and other companies before and installed some systems as DIYer, so there is no rocket since they use the software that helps them to do the drawing, and describe the specifics, and a lot of parts are actually automated, so I know it is already working and exist. You can continue being a skeptic and use your new motto, it is kind of a cool one (y)

SolarApp+

Solar Automated Permit Processing+, known as SolarAPP+, is a web-based platform that automates solar permitting for local governments and other authorities having jurisdiction. The Department of Energy (DOE) Solar Energy Technologies Office (SETO) funded the initial development and commercialization of the SolarAPP+ tool in 2019 through an award to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). This collaborative effort fosters rooftop solar adoption by making it easier for local governments to quickly and safely approve standardized rooftop projects.

I haven't used it and no clue if it'll work well or with your county.

ok, I ended up using the service to get my drawings ready to submit for the permit. Service name:

Solar + Storage Permit Plan Set | GreenLancer​

You could try websolar.cloud

The software includes the next features:
  • layout design
  • solar permit package generation
  • shading analysis
  • mounting system design
  • batteries
  • NEC electrical calculation
  • Financial reports

I used solardesigntool for the docs and greenlancer to get the engineering approval letter and wet stamps on the plan I created with solardesigntool and photo images of the roofing / trusses with green lancer.

There are no free tools to do the above to what is expected of building departments, I believe I paid around $75 for the plan tool and $300 for engineering services.

Back