diy solar

diy solar

Fun With The Sun

TheFloorIsLava

Hi, new here. Wanting to enjoy setting up some frivolous solar projects, advice welcome. Feel free to share your solar follys.

Tell me more about successfully solar powering things against the odds...

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you found your way here.

Hate to see your post with no replies, so I will share with you how much I have enjoyed my big project...nothing too friviouls...or agaisnt the odds...but DIY for sure...and thanks in large part to this forum and the great people here sharing their time and expertise with me and others.

Although I have been messing with solar on very small scale for many years...tons of solar lights, trickle chargers to boat, tractor and generator batteries, I decided last summer (2023) to work on a DIY solar system for the house.

For chuckles, I did get a commercial bid...but knew going into the sales consultation I would DIY...even told the sales person straight up I was DIYer. So, when the guy came in at ~$120,000!!!, I said thanks...but no thanks. Granted, I don't have as fancy of a system, but I did come up with a nice starter system that has 7 circuits connected for workshop, barn and barn loft, RV, and greenhouse systems...but also a window unit and heater for the main house that has been successful in offsetting signficant daily consumption.

Here is a picture from just this evening...with light fading and peaking through trees...the panels still collecting a little power...60w...nothing much...but I think its pretty cool.

Anyway, hope this helps. I think one thing key for me was to start with a small phase of the bigger project. And, really, with as successful as it has gone, I don't even feel the need to go on with the full scale project I had initially imagined and had gotten overwhelmed with. When I decide to Keep It Solar Simple, and start small, it got a lot more mangeable.

Attachments

• Solar IMG_2392.jpg
    Solar IMG_2392.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 5
Back