diy solar

diy solar

Fuses - Grid Tied DIY 280AH 16s

SteveC4

Hi,

So my current setup is as follows.

Battery -> T Class Fuse -> BMS -> DC Breaker -> Hybrid Inverter

I've noticed today that the DC Breaker is starting to discolor on one of the 4 terminals and the cable has actually melted a bit. All disconnected now. This DC breaker is a TOMZ brand that I now don't trust so wouldn't replace it with the same again. My question is, do I need this second DC breaker after my T Class Fuse or is it pointless anyway?

A breaker or properly rated switch is always recommended in case you need to disconnect the battery from the inverter (for maintenance, etc...).

Sorry, I missed a part out. Sounds like it's not needed for safety reasons then and any issues the T Class fuse will take of it. My only concern was a short circuit or failure after the BMS and whether the T Class Fuse would see the fault as it has the BMS in the way?

Battery -> T Class Fuse -> BMS -> Andersen Connection -> DC Breaker -> Hybrid Inverter

I personally like to think of the BMS as part of the battery, and put the fuse AFTER the BMS, before any loads/charger.

But I don't think there is a correct answer to this. Both options have advantages and disadvantages.

Back