diy solar

diy solar

Fusing and battery settings oh my

G8trwood

Been testing out my TT upgrade for a bit now and have a few questions on fusing and victron settings.

Airstream 1000w PD inverter, rarely used. Batteries added to extend stays off grid and keep the fridge working.
280x2 SOK batteries each connected to bus with blue seas switches
100a MRBF at each positive terminal
Victron power In with the bolts added to accept Mega fuses
100-30 smart solar controller, 300 watts roof
200w renogy ground panels
Victron IP43 charger
2/0 wire At batteries as I had it.

Loads are DC - fridge, lights, fans, furnace blower, water pump.

Fusing ,
Should I add class t fuses? Amperage so that inverter in Rush doesn’t blow it?

Victron settings,

I have looked at the CC settings as well as the SOK site. Problem I have is at top balance both batteries go into protective mode at different times due to a cell imbalance. It starts to show up around 13.4 pack voltage. Always have one cell that jumps up to 3.45-3.5 while others are 3.35. Without bluetooth, I might be in ignorant bliss.. ;) If I drop the voltage to 13.8, I get a higher end charge. It has been said to keep cycling them and they get better….

Was talking to some old friends working at the marina this AM. They said they have been setting up a lot of boats at 13.8 and float at 13.4 in order to not get shut downs and alarms. Both solar and alternator sources. Different manufacturer, but sounded similar with passive balancing voltage range identical.

And Tail current….

Appreciate it.

Should I add class t fuses
Not needed, you have MRBF 100 A on the batteries. The SOK batteries should supply the inrush on a 1000 watt inverter without over current protection activating.
Victron settings
Assume these are charger settings. Without battery protection issues 14.0 charge, 13.4 float, absorbtion period 30 minutes. With a relative low 30A charge current compared to battery capacity of 560Ah, the batteries will be near fully charged by 13.8 volts.
Tail current termination of charge can be an issue with solar, keep to a low absorbtion period.

Since you have balance issues, lower the charge voltage until the battery no longer enters protection . To give more time for the ballance circuits to work, maintain this charge voltage for long periods for several days, either by making absorbtion equal to float or by an extended absorbtion period.

Thank you.

Going to keep voltage turned down for a bit. Balance is really good from 10-90+%

Your challenge / concern is why I use a bs 187 type breaker instead of a switch and fuses in between the battery and bus bar.

Back