diy solar

diy solar

Fusing question for EG4 batteries in server rack with busbar

matsonburger

I have a server rack with 5 EG4 batteries (actually 3 Gyll, and 2 EG4) tied to the integral busbars. There has been a lot of discussion of fusing around battery and inverter cabling. I am curious if anyone has added a neat and tidy fuse setup into an arrangement like mine. The large inverter cable is 2/0 and the battery cables (supplied by battery company) are #6. I have read that the breaker should not be relied on in certain circumstances. Many thanks to all the forum participants.
1676228792174.png

I believe the supplied battery wires are 7 awg with silicone insulation.
Your picture doesn't show your fuse implementation.

My picture does not show fuse implementation because there isn't one and I am asking if anyone has done so with this setup.

The EG4 lifepower4 batteries I have have 16mm cables supplied to connect the batteries to the bus bars they would be rated at around 60 amps current carrying capacity but being so short will handle a lot more than that. that should make them near 4 SWG

My picture does not show fuse implementation because there isn't one and I am asking if anyone has done so with this setup.
My mistake.
Still doesn't protect the batteries from a dead short upstream of the fuse but it doesn't suck.

The EG4 lifepower4 batteries I have have 16mm cables supplied to connect the batteries to the bus bars they would be rated at around 60 amps current carrying capacity but being so short will handle a lot more than that. that should make them near 4 SWG
What is 4 SWG?
16mm2 is ~= 6 AWG.
According to signature solar the cables that should with the eg4 100 amp hour batteries are not 6 awg or 16mm2.

Last edited:
I should have written AWG, however 16mm is rated at 60 amps and I believe #6 AWG at 50 amps again depending on temperatures and surrounding profiles as in bundled conductors. My batteries were from Signiture solar and cables are marked as 16mm, I checked them as I was sure they looked like #4 AWG. But we have digressed from the fusing issue.

I know these seem too good to be true as a dc cutoff or fuse on the battery. I bought some and they seem light weight... anyone use these and verify real current throughput?
250-02-13_16-09-24.png

Back