diy solar

diy solar

Gathering Data Phase

Freep

Solar Enthusiast
I'm in the middle of a geothermal installation at our home and I've been given the green light from my SO to do a residential solar installation since our camper setup is so successful. This is in Wisconsin, USA

I've installed Emporia Vue2 on my main circuit breaker to get a good understanding of my usage, but it's only been a few days so far. I seem to be averaging 30 Kwh of usage per day but that should rise since we haven't used any HVAC for days.

I was inspired by this video of a retired couple who built out their own off grid, ground mount system.

A few things I have decided already

1. Off grid installation. We are not interested in selling to the utility, this system will have a battery bank
  2. All in one inverter/charger(s).
    1. Must be able to use a combination of solar and grid power or battery and grid power with no interruption. And also be able to charge from the grid.
    2. Must be able to interface with Solar Assistant and Home Assistant
    3. No Cloud
  3. Must be able to bypass the solar system and use the grid only if the system fails for whatever reason. Preferably a manual transfer switch
  4. Solar Panels will be stand alone and possibly built into an open air garden shack of a sort(easier for permitting).
  5. Battery bank will be 48V LFP(BMS also needs to interface with Solar Assistant and Home Assistant)

If you have suggestions or opinions about suitable AIO units and/or a bypass switch, that would be great. I think I've got a pretty good handle on the battery and solar panel side of things(for now). I will absolutely be using a licensed electrician for the switch panel work.

Back