diy solar

diy solar

Gathering components

NEpowerandlight

Hi everyone I'm happy to have found this great resource. Disclaimer: I have no experience with solar or DC power supplies.

I'm going to build a version of Will's DIY 48v off grid power system with the help of son in-law who is a licensed electrician. I'm gathering up all the needed components to build the system.

Here's what I have so far:
2 - 48v 220ah Trophy batteries
1 - EG4 6k Split Phase inverter
2 - Victron 600a Busbars
1 - 400a T-Class fuse
1- Victron Smart Shunt
4/0 and 2/0 wire and terminals
12 - Used 210w Solyndra solar panels

Still Need:
Wiring and connectors for the solar panels

Future expansion:
5000 more watts of solar panels
2 - 48 220ah Trophy batteries for a total of 4

Goals:
Power my mini splits (1 -12k 240v) (1- 18K 240v dual zone) with solar while the sun is shining
Back up power

I like to hear all comments and suggestions concerning any components I might be missing from the list of things I have so far.

Also if anyone could offer any suggestions for hooking up a dual fuel westinghouse 5500 watt generator to my inverter from a 30amp reliance transfer switch. The inverter calls for a 40amp breaker which is not something I can install in a 30amp transfer switch.

Thanks in advance

Not sure why you are adding cost with the Victron stuff, the inverter will tell you the state of the batteries.
And just make some heavy cables for the "busbars" does it really matter if they are solid metal or cable, as long as they are able to take the current.

Not sure why you are adding cost with the Victron stuff, the inverter will tell you the state of the batteries.
And just make some heavy cables for the "busbars" does it really matter if they are solid metal or cable, as long as they are able to take the current.
I was told the EG4 inverter will not recognize/communicate with my Trophy batteries.

I hear you on the busbar, however I'm cramming everything in to small space. The batteries will vertical and stacked so in that configuration I decided to go with the busbars.

Thanks

Who told you that ? It may be true but I doubt it. The inverter can be set to user battery and it will monitor the state of them and charge per your settings.
Since I'm new to all of this I could be wrong so bear with me. However I spoke with Dan at Trophy battery about connecting the batteries to my EG4 inverter and he said something to the effect that the battery and inverter would not communicate via the communication cable due to proprietary software in the inverter.

I'm guessing that means the batteries will work fine with the inverter but I won't be able see things like the SOC on the inverter display?

Back