diy solar

diy solar

General Purpose DC Power Meter recommendation?

curious

Hello,
What do you recommend for a general purpose DC power meter, current range ~ 1Amp -100Amps? I have a couple of the GT Power "High Precision Watt Meter"s... seems there are several brands names for about the same thing all about $20. They're OK for quick work, but have accuracy and voltage drop problems for careful work like verifying a battery capacity, or creating a solar-panel I- V curve. I tested one of these $20 devices against an East Tester 5410 and Fluke DVM ( ET & Fluke agreed within 0.1% on voltage, and current ~ 1Amp) and found the current within 1%, but the voltage off by 2.5%....was hoping for < 1% for both. (Opening the Case, I saw no obvious method of voltage calibration).

Then tried the ~$20 Bayite Power meter with external current shunt, turns out its voltage was within 1% but voltage was again off by 2.5%.

Alternatively could use a couple DVM's, that would give accurate voltages, but I've never seen a DVM with ability to measure more than 10Amps.

I found a laboratory grade AC/DC power meter for ~$400 Napui PM9804, too much for me!

Something better than the $20 offerings but cheaper than the $400 Napui???

Thanks!

Whatever you get, get one with both DC and AC clamp-on amperage capability. Voltage is important, but when I'm doing troubleshooting, the amps are often more informative. The clamp-on meters can measure much more than 10 amps. A meter that measures amps without clamp-on uses the regular probes. You'll blow the 10 amp fuse in the meter if you exceed 10 amps running through the probes.

If you're concerned about the accuracy of a meter, check it against a voltage reference device. I bought one from this site:

Back