diy solar

diy solar

Genetry solar 6kw inverter review

Bossrox

Solar tinkerer
After waiting 3 1/2 months to get their inverter, it finally got here. This is a new upstart company run thus far by 2 guys who got the bright idea to custom design a better inverter for the DIY market & contracted powerjack to custom make them to their specs. They have numerous videos up on youtube that caught my eye & I liked what was described with an emphasis on quality components. I've had numerous experiences with chinese inverters, some better than other but generally they don't hold up very long & are over rated on the power they can deliver.

What impressed me most about this inverter is they're claiming it can run at full output 24/7 & proved it by bypassing the limit safeguards & ran it at 8kw for quite awhile with no problems. So I got 1 now & except for the crappy time it took to get it here, I think this could be 1 of the stoutest inverters for the price you can find for a bit over a grand delivered.

Another thing about their inverter, unlike all other brands, if you need a modification to fit your application, you can't get it done. These guys custom modified what was normally a split phase 240 inverter & converted it to single phase 120 & put a remote switch jack in for me. I've still got to put it thru a heavy load test but I don't expect any problems & it's got a user display interface that's quite extensive & programmable & it's a beast! Weighs a least 75lbs.

The only thing that I can say bad about it is if you run it full throttle, the fans sound like jet engines screaming. Not something you'd want located in a living space where you'd want to chat with others over the noise & being only a couple guys running it, shit happens like my order getting forgot about where I got so annoyed I had to threaten to cancel it if it wasn't on the way with a week. I'll be ordering another down the road but only if they have it in stock & ready to ship within a week. They also have their own forum & the head engineer is prompt on replying to any technical ?'s but on the other hand, their face man is near impossible to get a hold of.

i

Attachments

• 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 50
Just received my GS6k two days ago. Very impressed with this unit so far, and the company in general. Sid is the most actively responsive tech support I've ever experienced, to the point that one has to wonder if this dude ever sleeps. I'll take a big ole overbuilt, properly 100% copper wound toroidal transformer over ANY high freq unit any day of the week. I believe their claims of being able to run these units full throttle all day, every day, year after year. That's the difference between getting a POS Champion, Generac, etc genset and something like a Honda, Onan, or Northstar genset that uses properly over-sized cores and windings... The formers will burn out and perform poorly at consistent continuous loads north of ⅔ rated, while the later will ask "is that all ya got for me?" while handing their full nameplate rating for days and weeks on end.

That being said, he's supposedly writing code to ad pfc to the charging function, which I hope gets done sooner than later. ~65% charging efficiency is livable, but 80-85% would make me much happier. But man, can't beat that idle draw of ~23 watts on an inverter that big. That was a big plus for me.

I don't know if Sid fixed a problem with the genetry not working on some appliances or not but my washer wouldn't work on their unit however it was corrected by adding some capacitors to the final output but also raised it's idle current draw to 75 watts. Other than that, it's a beast of an inverter.

I don't know if Sid fixed a problem with the genetry not working on some appliances or not but my washer wouldn't work on their unit however it was corrected by adding some capacitors to the final output but also raised it's idle current draw to 75 watts. Other than that, it's a beast of an inverter.
Yea, I was following the thread on the Genetry forum... Well, I read through every thread actually. I like to know what I'm hoping in bed with before doing so in general. I didn't think it had anything to do with a dirty sine wave though, unless I'm mistaken on that, because the sine looks pretty clean through the oscilloscope. I know they have some sensitive and complex appliances that they haven't had any issues with. Me personally, I go for simplicity and reliability over convenience and sophistication, even at the expense of efficiency if I have to. Therefore, I generally eschew appliances that trade off the former for the later anyway. I approach every system I build as if it's the last time I'll ever be able to get the equipment or parts for that equipment. Glad to hear your liking your unit though. I think they have got something special going on over there, and are obviously passionate and extremely knowledgeable about what they are doing, and eager to work with their customers to improve their product. That's hard to come by these days. Hopefully, they can keep themselves afloat and grow their business without sacrificing anything in return. That's a pretty tall order, I know, but I suspect they are on the right track.

properly 100% copper wound toroidal transformer over ANY high freq unit any day of the week.
Their toroidal transformer is wound with enameled aluminum wire >>>> it is not copper wire
the wire is aluminum...
the iron core is what makes it heavy....
real copper wound transformers will be heavier than these....

sorry to inform you of this but they clearly state they can not afford to use a real copper wound transformer....
somewhere in their forum.....

I brought this up a long time ago....>>>
when I was bringing up the e-type copper wound transformers other companies were selling..

the claim is the toroidal shape is better than the e-type..... but hard to say....

it takes more thicker aluminum to do the same thing a copper transformer can do in the heavy
LF inverters...

they have been out of stock for about 6 months now I believe, other than a return, and have been having component supply manufacturing woes since before August 2022....
the jet engine fan noise of their inverter would make you put it someplace nowhere near your living quarters.
i hate noise when I watching movies or studying on youtube....

they have been out of stock for about 6 months now I believe, other than a return, and have been having component supply manufacturing woes since before August 2022....
the jet engine fan noise of their inverter would make you put it someplace nowhere near your living quarters.
i hate noise when I watching movies or studying on youtube....
Does anyone know Genetry Solars owners name. I have been having problems with the delays in shipping. A few weeks ago I ordered some parts . A total of 3 different parts, 3 different orders. on the 1st 2 orders I payed UPS 2nd day air at a cost of 85.00, he did ship them a couple days later but shipped them priority at a cost of 25,00, so he took me for 60.00, the 3rd order was for ground UPS but as of today he has not shipped it just supplied a USPS pre shipment tracking number. I have been sending texts, calling but He wont respond or answer the phone. I am just getting tired of the hassle.

Does anyone know Genetry Solars owners name. I have been having problems with the delays in shipping. A few weeks ago I ordered some parts . A total of 3 different parts, 3 different orders. on the 1st 2 orders I payed UPS 2nd day air at a cost of 85.00, he did ship them a couple days later but shipped them priority at a cost of 25,00, so he took me for 60.00, the 3rd order was for ground UPS but as of today he has not shipped it just supplied a USPS pre shipment tracking number. I have been sending texts, calling but He wont respond or answer the phone. I am just getting tired of the hassle.
His name is Sean Genetry,,,,
they are still in supplier problems and seeking new suppliers for most all parts.
Sean has an outside job now as the business is not making enough money to support his 5000 square foot house /acreage and 7 kids,,,,as I understand it....
he claims Sid is the designer and now Sean Genetry maybe is primarily the front man salesman as someone called him in another thread....
they say PowerJack manufacturing company out of China is paid to manufacture the inverters, but has not delivered any since the early August 2022 prepaid orders >>>>> kind of like molasses in January in the north country...

he (Sean Genetry) is selling parts without a warranty plus shipping from other inverters now to generate some cash flow....some may be used, some may be new >>> but no warranty on parts.....
they can not compete with PowerJack but are trying to compete with Aims brand inverter prices...

Thank you all for getting back to me, all the parts I have ordered are the old stock power jack parts he has listed on his website, so they are in his possession. I mean I wouldn't have to much of a problem if he would just text me and say sorry but it could be a couple weeks before I get them shipped, but he doesn't have enough common courtesy to respond at all. I dealt with him a few years ago and had no problem.

I bought the 1st to arrive in the USA super heavy 20000-watt PowerJack LF PSW SP inverter (((about 160 plus pounds)) )and it arrived damaged about 3-4 years ago and sent it to Sean Genetry when he was still in his garage in Lansing, Michigan >>> as he was doing work for Powerjack then. it arrived like a bowling ball with the toroidal transformer smashing the front side and scraping up the enamel-coated aluminum wires etc it was unrepairable but PowerJack sent me another one in stainless steel with all the LCD guages etc but it took about 3 months later before the replacement arrived from PowerJack,,,

If they can make the touted 12k inverters and PowerJack does not keep them in limbo land forever,,,,,but PowerJack has sellers scams on eBay where they ship out a piece of paper and claim their order completed....
they just get another seller id and keep on chugging with eBay....

I have seen this fraud personally but eBay and the credit card company returned the money,,, and the PowerJack eBay seller disappeared.

I sincerely hope they have better success with the Chinese PowerJack company though.....I am sure the stress level of doing prepaid preorders in August 2022, and nothing yet arriving would give anyone a bunch of grey hair...?

Sounds like my experience, I bought the 15,000 watt tank back in late 2017, first one was damaged on arrival. I ordered another one because I needed one immediately . They cost 750.00 each at the time. The ebay seller refunded me 400.00 on the first one and 100.00 on the second because it was damaged a bit too. mine is the 3'x2'x2 ' beast. It has been a very good inverter, it has been running our home since 2017. Any problems I have had with it have been my fault. If I ever have to replace it I will buy a Sigineer off amazon. They are the house brand of the company that builds the aims. I do some off grid installations and have been using them, they are a beast.

Sounds like my experience, I bought the 15,000 watt tank back in late 2017, first one was damaged on arrival. I ordered another one because I needed one immediately . They cost 750.00 each at the time. The ebay seller refunded me 400.00 on the first one and 100.00 on the second because it was damaged a bit too. mine is the 3'x2'x2 ' beast. It has been a very good inverter, it has been running our home since 2017. Any problems I have had with it have been my fault. If I ever have to replace it I will buy a Sigineer off amazon. They are the house brand of the company that builds the aims. I do some off grid installations and have been using them, they are a beast.
yes, Sigineer was high on my list for LF PSW SP inverters also....they have the copper e-type transformer that seems very dependable...
all I have done is off the grid and prefer it that way....
and the fans will not drive one bonkers as they are reported to be fairly quiet (the Sigineer LF SP PSW inverters).

I happen to be a neighbor of Sean, a real standup guy, from what I can tell. Everything you all are saying seems to be the case. He has some large deals he is working on. They are having some growing pains, in regards to parts and manufacturing. I believe they have plans to increase their order numbers, and that might help with delivery speed.
I can't speak for them here, but I've ordered a 12k and don't even need one. I currently have a working system.
I know he is taking the next week off, but he said he will still be taking calls.
I will be happy to mention you to him and hopefully he will call you back very soon. That has been a BIG selling point for their Co. Good American service.

Last edited:
He finally got to the post office yesterday, at least it is on its way, I had ordered an extra main long board for the mosfets and LF driver. Hopefully I will never have to use them. He did say awhile back he was going to refund some of my shipping back to me, has not happened yet but we will see. I will keep an eye on his store for more replacement parts I can stock up on. I do love my inverter, it was the 15000/60000 model. I have pushed it to 12000 and has never let me down . I made a mistake in wiring twice since 2017 and blew the mosfet boards. I personally think the older ones were better built, the components were of better quality. About 3 years ago is when I first blew my mosfet boards so I ordered another power jack off ebay and it was a piece of junk, It used the new in house built transformer. As soon as I got my new parts from Genetry I actually gave the new inverter to a friend.

yes, Sigineer was high on my list for LF PSW SP inverters also....they have the copper e-type transformer that seems very dependable...
all I have done is off the grid and prefer it that way....
and the fans will not drive one bonkers as they are reported to be fairly quiet (the Sigineer LF SP PSW inverters).
They are pretty quiet, they have two fans independent of each other. Low speed and one a high speed. I installed one to run a deep well 2.5HP 240v pump almost 2 years ago. I installed the pump at 190 feet deep, so I ran about 215 feet of wire and the inverter has been flawless. Its the 6000w 24v and it runs off 3 tesla batteries. I have installed two more of these same inverters for others since. It takes a lot of power to start a deep well pump. especially at 215 feet wire length

I see Genetry Solar just posted a video on shipping times and cost.
It appears when we live in a deep country setting, our post offices are very limited. Just part of the off grid/solar living.
Hope it helps clear up some questions.

I see Genetry Solar just posted a video on shipping times and cost.
It appears when we live in a deep country setting, our post offices are very limited. Just part of the off grid/solar living.
Hope it helps clear up some questions.
No not really, he just made a bunch of excuses of why he takes so long to get customer orders shipped out. I left him a post in the comments so hopefully he will make things right with me. If he felt the need to dedicate a video on shipping than its my guess there are a lot of other customers who were having issues.

No not really, he just made a bunch of excuses of why he takes so long to get customer orders shipped out. I left him a post in the comments so hopefully he will make things right with me. If he felt the need to dedicate a video on shipping than its my guess there are a lot of other customers who were having issues.
I think it was because I mentioned you and your comments here. AND he did not others to have such high expectations. Our post office is only part time with crappy hours. We don't live in or near a big city.
But, excuses and reasons are both explanations.
I know its a world where we want things right now. Amazon is having shipping issues now as well. And diesel prices. But these are more excuses, so just disregard.
Ok, I'm done.

Back