diy solar

diy solar

Getting Solar Panels and Lithium Batteries From Sunpal Power

Thingol

Hello from Switzerland (and Kenya) sunny folks!

I am new to the forum and literally stumbled in while researching for my upcoming, first ever solar project. I thought I would share what I have been up-to so far and listen to any thoughts/advice the community may have. The project site is down in Kenya. In the past weeks, I have been in discussion with Sunpal Power and I am currently looking at round figure of USD 5000/- for the the following rig:

1) 15pcs X 400W Solar panels (monocrystalline) for USD1500/-
2) 4pcs Lithium battery (12V, 2.5KWH each) for USD 2040/-. These would be arranged in series into a 48V bank.
3) Roof mounting structure for the panels (around USD 700)
4) PV Cable for around 100USD
5) Packaging: USD180
6) Admin costs, COC export certification charge: USD 400/-

Before contacting this seller, I did as much research on them as one could from a keyboard i.e., checking that they are a verified manufacturer, their products are active, have good reviews and no serious complaint anywhere Google-able, all products I am getting are TUV/CE/UL certified etc. They also come with decent warranty- at least on paper for now. The seller appears unwilling to throw in an extra battery/ some 5 extra panels but all in all, it appears to be a reasonable offer. What do you folks think, especially those who've bought off Alibaba?

I intend to get an SMA / Growatt inverter (5KW or marching total PV array power of 6KW) to complete the system. That would set me back another USD1000-USD1500 I think. It is pretty tough finding a reputable SMA Inverter seller with pricing indicated upfront that will ship to Kenya Amazon style though. I did find www.europe-solarstore.com with a really nice product catalog but they are not responsive. It has been a week since my inquiry so I'll pass and probably get a Growatt elsewhere. In any case, has anyone bought from www.europe-solarstore.com? They do not list any physical business address or have online presence anywhere else which I find strange...

I have worked with solar systems (and had my fun with flooded lead acid batteries) before but those were tiny kits <1KW: much less plug and play compared to what I am planning but also much less powerful. Any wise counsel on any aspect of my lil essay up there is very much welcome. Thank you!

Welcome to the forums!

... counsel on any aspect of my lil essay up there is very much welcome. Thank you!

Are the deals a little to good to be true?
Let's see what other members think.... I think it was @upnorthandpersonal that just did a "study" on the cheapest possible system configuration, they might have some insights.

15 panels x 400W/ panel for $1500.... so $1500 / (15x400) = $0.25/W. As a comparison 375W panels in the U.S. new run about $0.49/W and in the used market (e.g., Santan) you might be able to get that price.

4x2500wh = 10,000 Wh, @ $2040 that's $0.20 Wh. That's around DIY pricing for cells purchased from China.

Welcome to the forums!

Are the deals a little to good to be true?
Let's see what other members think.... I think it was @upnorthandpersonal that just did a "study" on the cheapest possible system configuration, they might have some insights.

15 panels x 400W/ panel for $1500.... so $1500 / (15x400) = $0.25/W. As a comparison 375W panels in the U.S. new run about $0.49/W and in the used market (e.g., Santan) you might be able to get that price.

4x2500wh = 10,000 Wh, @ $2040 that's $0.20 Wh. That's around DIY pricing for cells purchased from China.
Thank you! The prices are pretty close to Alibaba rates for each kind of ware I think. I wonder if anyone here has bought from them (Sunpal) and what their experience was, and also wonder what folks make of europe-solarstore.com . I am also looking at @upnorthandpersonal post on his experience with Yangtze. Let's see what folks have to say..

I personally wouldn't use those batteries. They're Lithium Polymer - if something goes wrong they'll go up in a huge ball of fire. They're also more expensive than DIY'ing a LiFePO4 pack.

I personally wouldn't use those batteries. They're Lithium Polymer - if something goes wrong they'll go up in a huge ball of fire. They're also more expensive than DIY'ing a LiFePO4 pack.
Thanks for the alert. I am just scrutinizing the product description once more and these batteries are actually described as LiFePO4... What am I missing?

Attachments

• 1607546489266.png
    1607546489266.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1607546544515.png
    1607546544515.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 7
Hello, @shekeine did you finally buy from Sunpal? How was your experience, how about the products' quality? Thanks!

Hello, @shekeine did you finally buy from Sunpal? How was your experience, how about the products' quality? Thanks!
Oh Yeah, the whole package was delivered some weeks back. Everything is in order. I am travelling down (to Kenya) to do the installation next month so I will update this post shortly after. According to my folks (its them that received everything), all items are in tip-top shape and I saw the same thing from the photos they shared. If you are considering them, the only thing I would advise you to watch out for is the shipping arrangement. I did CIF, I would advise against that and do EXW instead, then arrange for my own shipper to take it from there. Cheers.

1626684535150.png

1626684511331.png

Oh Yeah, the whole package was delivered some weeks back. Everything is in order. I am travelling down (to Kenya) to do the installation next month so I will update this post shortly after. According to my folks (its them that received everything), all items are in tip-top shape and I saw the same thing from the photos they shared. If you are considering them, the only thing I would advise you to watch out for is the shipping arrangement. I did CIF, I would advise against that and do EXW instead, then arrange for my own shipper to take it from there. Cheers.

View attachment 56873

View attachment 56872
How have the Sunpal Panels worked out? Do they perform to spec? Any failure manufacturing issues?

Thank you

How have the Sunpal Panels worked out? Do they perform to spec? Any failure manufacturing issues?

Thank you
The panels are working like a charm, this is 9 months down the line. I had zero visible/physical errors with the hardware itself. The electrical perfomance is right at par with the advertised specs for 400W half-cell panels. I have 10 panels configured to run at 100V/40amp. 6 panels are still in storage because I do not need them as of yet-they would be the 3rd and final string. The batteries are also from Sunpal and so far so good! Oh, there was a problem now I remember-with the MC4 connectors. They sent all female-inserts with the MC4 connectors. I contacted them, sent them photos and they replaced them-this time with the male and female inserts. I was also missing some mounting rail length. They sent this too. Happy with them overall.

Thingol - Thank you, that's very helpful feedback. I've watched video from the Sunpal website showing their assembly which seems very human labor intensive with potential for error. However the price is so attractive it makes me want to smash some buy buttons =)

Edit: new SunPal video I watched shows full automated mfg, although it looks to be mostly cgi ...

Last edited:
Thingol - Thank you, that's very helpful feedback. I've watched video from the Sunpal website showing their assembly which seems very human labor intensive with potential for error. However the price is so attractive it makes me want to smash some buy buttons =)

Edit: new SunPal video I watched shows full automated mfg, although it looks to be mostly cgi ...
I would rely mostly on customer feedback to decide. Do as many inquries as possible, check their reviews on Alibaba, also check other sellers and compare, good luck!

Hello Aslan again, after about 8 months of use, I am having serious problems with two of the five batteries I bought. From my discussions with Sunpal, it looks like they will not honor their terms of warranty, and are offering to add two new batteries "with my next order" i.e., pay them more money so as to get my warranty replacement. Look elsewhere, and the scene has changed a lot between last year and now so you do have a lot of options. I will put up another detailed post so folks can avoid them or use them knowing full well their warranty means zero.

Hello Aslan again, after about 8 months of use, I am having serious problems with two of the five batteries I bought. From my discussions with Sunpal, it looks like they will not honor their terms of warranty, and are offering to add two new batteries "with my next order" i.e., pay them more money so as to get my warranty replacement. Look elsewhere, and the scene has changed a lot between last year and now so you do have a lot of options. I will put up another detailed post so folks can avoid them or use them knowing full well their warranty means zero.
Hey Thingol, I'm thinking of buying Sunpal panels. Are they still working well for you? Looks like they're UL listed but I can't find reviews on quality or performance ANYWHERE!

Hello Michiganman, DO NOT touch SUNPAL. Their panels are fine (so far for me) but they are as dishonest as these outfits get. They sold me old, end of life batteries that were disguised as new at the price of new. Cliché right? I will write this up here soon. I repeat, avoid them like the plaque. I am sure there are very many far more reliable and veritable sources that others have shared here. Any of them would be a better bet.

Hi,
Are your panels still working fine ? They have offered me a low price set, with Sunpal panel and Growatt Inverter (no battery). Would love to hear from you.

Back