diy solar

diy solar

Giandel inverter compatible with lithium batteries

Ridgerunner365

Help, I may have jumped the gun on buying my pure sine wave inverter. I purchased a Giandel 2200w pure sine wave inverter with solar controller. The inverter has a switch for gel and lead acid on back no lithium. On a thread, I can't relocate, stated to set the switch whichever closest to the battery voltage. Can anybody please clarify this.
I attempted to call the manufacturer and all I get is a dial tone.
Thanks it had of time
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Most LFP batteries work with many GEL/FLA/AGM batteries. What does the manual say for that various voltages of each?

Is it just an inverter, or is it an inverter/charger?

Link to manual?

The important issue for me when using Lithium batteries and the charger in an inverter is whether
I can set the voltage for charging. I have used several types of Lithium batteries with different charging requirements. An adjustable low voltage diconnect is always a plus.
If it is a 12 volt battery you can always work around the lack of setting with a programmable BMS. That is also possible with higher voltage packs but having two ways to disconnect is always better.

Last edited:
It's a combination inverter/solar charge controller.
Considering how low the input voltage is I would say the solar charge controller is just a checklist item and not really very useful.
Have you done an energy audit?

Okay, thanks for your comment, but still trying to wrap my head around the lingo, will it work correctly with a battleborn 12 volt battery?
Yes with the following caveats.
Don't connect and solar panels to the solar charge controller part of the inverter.
The low voltage disconnect will be to low to be useful so that will need to be adressed another way.
I recommend not bying anything until you have a plan.
I will help you with the plan if you have done an energy audit.

Considering how low the input voltage is I would say the solar charge controller is just a checklist item and not really very useful.
Have you done an energy audit?
Yes, roughly. I have a 40 amp charge controllers 400 watts of solar and my sticking point is this inverter being able to be matched with a battleborn 100amp 12-volt battery. Currently I don't want buy the Battle Born battery yet until I know that is compatible

Oops that input voltage is for the dc system side.
Doesn't tell us anything about the solar charge controller component.
I'm just going to assume its pwm crap until more evidence is revealed.

BTW
2200 ac watts * 1.15 inverter efficiency factor / 12 volts = 210.833333333 dc amps
1 battleborn battery will be screaming for its mother trying to deliver that current even long enough to boil the kettle.

I'm just going to assume its pwm crap until more evidence is revealed.
It's a 20A PWM SCC. I saw that model a while ago and was surprised it existed. I suppose in an emergency having that PWM is better than no SCC.

1 battleborn battery will be screaming for its mother trying to deliver that current even long enough to boil the kettle.
:LOL: Yup. They are rated at 100A continuous, 200A surge for 30 seconds. The OP better plan on several in parallel.

Oh and if you rely on the battleborn bms to disconnect the batteries on low voltage.
2200 * 1.15 / 10 = 253 dc amps.

It's a 20A PWM SCC. I saw that model a while ago and was surprised it existed. I suppose in an emergency having that PWM is better than no SCC.

:LOL: Yup. They are rated at 100A continuous, 200A surge for 30 seconds. The OP better plan on several in parallel.
Not very helpful by calling my purchases crap should I return it.
Don't connect and solar panels to the solar charge controller part of the inverter.
The low voltage disconnect will be to low to be useful so that will need to be adressed another way.
Ok, was trying to avoid systemic energy audit, just wanted to do a two battery setup which should be plenty for my needs.
Greatly appreciate,
I just told you. :confused:
--------------------------------------------------
This is what I came up with

Attachments

• RV energy audit.jpg
    RV energy audit.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 19
Ok, was trying to avoid systemic energy audit, just wanted to do a two battery setup which should be plenty for my needs.

Just to give you an idea of your systems scale and proportion.
A 100 amp hour lifepo4 battery is 76800 watt minutes to 100% empty.
Your inverter can draw 2530 dc watts running at full bore.
Even if your battery could handle the draw(which it can't) it would only last 76800 / 2530 = 30.355731225 minutes.

Back