diy solar

diy solar

Golf Cart Form Factor?

chrisstratton

I'm looking to add over 6KW-h of 24 volt storage for a van build. I saw some Battery EVO Golf Cart batteries which looked promising size and price wise. Are there any special considerations for using a golf cart battery versus a server rack battery?

Golf cart batteries are usually either lead acid or have a really high discharge BMS in them which makes more expensive than a similar capacity battery for everything else. A server rack battery, even in the few 24v options, is good for about 5Kwh so you need either 5Kwh or 10Kwh. A bog standard 24v 200Ah battery is pretty close to the same form factor as a golf cart battery if the shape makes a difference.

Unless you're going to get one of the Seplos 24v cases and roll your own battery with 280ah cells.

Golf cart batteries are usually either lead acid or have a really high discharge BMS in them which makes more expensive than a similar capacity battery for everything else. A server rack battery, even in the few 24v options, is good for about 5Kwh so you need either 5Kwh or 10Kwh. A bog standard 24v 200Ah battery is pretty close to the same form factor as a golf cart battery if the shape makes a difference.

Unless you're going to get one of the Seplos 24v cases and roll your own battery with 280ah cells.
Here's one link I was looking at, which seems to come in at $0.27/KW-h - only it is 12v, and 150ah, so, 4 of them - 2s2p

BatteryEVO does have some good $watt, but has both LifeP04 and Turnery cells, which the latter I would NEVER use in a van. I've seen some 48V that works out to 25 cents / watt but have read uncomplimentary comments on the quality or support, but have no idea if its true or not.

They have a discount code BATTERY for 10% at checkout that helps as well

I'm looking to add over 6KW-h of 24 volt storage for a van build. I saw some Battery EVO Golf Cart batteries which looked promising size and price wise. Are there any special considerations for using a golf cart battery versus a server rack battery?
Lithium golf cart batteries usually have 100 amp BMS's on them. Its actually a problem for some golf carts with higher energy motors and controllers, but a 100 amp BMS will serve most normal carts just fine.

Most of these lithium ion golf cart batteries are designed for the average golf cart user who cruises around their neighborhood socializing or on a golf course. They work fine for that kind of thing.

Most server rack batteries also seem to have 100 amp BMS's on them..

With the golf cart battery, you'll probably pay a bit more because they are better shielded from dust and water.. and if you find a lithium golf cart battery that is cheaper than a server rack battery, I would be very suspicious of its quality.

My 48v cart at full throttle/full speed on level ground pulls 60-70a. But stabbing it from a stop briefly pulls over 200a. A 100a bms would typically allow that due to the short duration.

Back