diy solar

diy solar

Good deal on this system?

jsmit209

I found a 2.3kW solar panel system for sale locally. Eight 290W panels, 2500W 48v pure sine wave inverter, mppt charge controller, wires, breakers, combiner box, and racks to mount everything.

Price is $700. Seems like a steal, but I could be wrong.

Screenshot_20230709-130140~2.pngView attachment 156583Screenshot_20230709-130248~2.pngScreenshot_20230709-130222~2.png

Last edited:
With everything included as described the price seems reasonable. Does the seller have any recent solar production data or charge controller data that would suggest the PV's and charge controller are in fact outputting the amount of energy as expected for that geographical location, azimuth and tilt? This would be a good way to verify functionality.

Yeah just to double up on what rodrick said...those are low budget products but for $700 (assume everything works), it's a pretty good deal. Is the system still up and operational so you can see it in action? Also, bring a multimeter so you can test at least short-circuit voltage (Voc) of the panels (should match close to the specs on the label on the back of each panel) and also short-circuit amps (Isc) if your meter can do so. I would also inspect all wiring to make sure it's still good, is actual copper and not CCA (copper clad aluminum) and sized appropriately for the system, otherwise offer less than $700 to account for dealing with the cost of installing new wiring.

Emphasis on may be a good deal. May be carp and all you get is solar panels. And maybe not even that. The stuff is not well known quality equipment.

I would buy it if it was in my area for $700. Unless the panels are damaged 2320w worth of solar panels is easily worth it. (30 cents a watt) The combiner box would cost in the $100+ range new. The other components such as the SCC $90 to $120 depending on amp rating. Panel Mounts I cant see but would have a value.

The inverter I would place no value on.

Back