diy solar

diy solar

Gravity Generator with weights (like an old style clock)

Archerite

I have a small solar system for about 2 years now and I love it! It's really small with only 250W peak for about 3-4 hours a day in summer and about 100+ for maybe 6 hours. On average between 0.7 kWh - 1 kWh of generated power. I know it's peanuts but it's enough to keep my phone, tablet, laptop, e reader, earbuds, etc...all charged up from solar. But I also run my TV from an inverter and with my 88Ah battery that can run for about 5 hours. it's hooked into homeassistant so that at 25% SoC the grid charger spins up to charge up to 40%. This usually only happens on either cloudy days or when I used too much. It's not an offgrid system...just hobby and learning experimentation.

With that out of the way as a tiny introduction that I am not totally new at this ;)...the reason for this post: I am going to try and build a gravity generator! I have no idea how it will look in the end...I just ordered some small cheap-ish 10W 24V "generators" from amazon. It's a 100% hobby project to learn from...too see if it's feasible to expand and invest in.

My theory is that if I put up a weight system like in old style clocks I should be able to at least get the generator spinning for a bit. i have a 3D printer that I can use to print parts for this...like housing and 1st gen gears. I'll probably end up with using metal gears at some point...but the idea is to have the weight drop really slow and with the gear box make the generator spin many times faster. But I also don't want it to be on the ground in 30 seconds obviously.

The plan is to use a Victron MPPT as the charge controller and put the generator on the PV input. I know it's not really meant for it...but I like them and have some spares. For exactly this kind of project! Then I will charge either a lifepo4 battery and/or a super capacitor bank from this generator. If possible I also want to put a few of these generators on the same gearbox so they generate more watts. At least...that's my theory.

The ultimate goal is to have this gravity generator charge my phone! ?

I understand there is no such thing as free energy...and that is not how i look at this. The weights need to be lifted up "somehow"...either by a motor or me using human muscle power to put the weights back up. I have no idea how much weight I am going to put on it..or how much is required. I am also thinking about using something else than a big weight on a wire or chain! Things like marbles on some sort of conveyor system...then collect them in the bottom and once in a while move them back up. In theory this would keep the generator running longer...as long as there are marbles "in storage" at the top.

As said (maybe to much) a lot of this is just theory that I would like to test for real in a small scale setup. First step is to just see if those generators I bought are even capable enough to generate anything at all! If they can then I'll look into wiring them together somehow to increase the output power. I ordered 4 of them so that is a potentially 40W of gravity power! My "standby usage" on my battery system is just around 30 watts, hahahaha. This could then supply power while I disconnect my main battery for some maintenance or something. I am really hoping it will work!

Another option instead of a single weight on a string or a marble conveyor is removable weights on a chain...with a hook or something. As in there is a chain that goes around from the top to the bottom. The exact height is not determined yet but I think at least 1.5-2 meters. Then on this chain i'll hook a weight on the top...which will make the chain move until that weight is on the bottom. At that point I would need to move it up again to restart the generator obviously. Since there is no such thing as free energy ;)

I am curious if there are more people looking into this? Or maybe already have? When something useful comes from my experiments I'll post again.

How long do you want the power to last? If you wanted 15 minutes, let's say, then to get 40 watts from a height of 2 meters you'd need to let a mass of at least 1837 kilograms fall, assuming 100% efficiency so it only gets worse. So just over 4000 pounds. So, to recap, you need a 4000 pound weight to be lifted over 6 feet in order to get 40 watts for 15 minutes. Just doesn't sound practical.

I've considered it, and plan to experiment myself. There are videos out there of gravity generation experiments working. My thought was to park my truck on a steel plate that is a gravity generator.
Good luck!

A gravity generator will work. But the question is how long will it run at what output. Starting with the fundamentals, the maximum potential energy in any raised mass is mgh, mass x acceleration due to gravity x height. Power then is mgh/t. You cannot get more than that. So in short distances, you need incredible weights to get meaningful power. On the other hand, smaller weights can fall from higher, but you need ridiculous heights to avoid ridiculous weights.

How long do you want the power to last? If you wanted 15 minutes, let's say, then to get 40 watts from a height of 2 meters you'd need to let a mass of at least 1837 kilograms fall, assuming 100% efficiency so it only gets worse. So just over 4000 pounds. So, to recap, you need a 4000 pound weight to be lifted over 6 feet in order to get 40 watts for 15 minutes. Just doesn't sound practical.
I have done barely any calculations...just a conversation with ChatGPT ;) As I said my ultimate goal of the project is to charge my phone with it...or at least a powerbank that in turn will charge my phone. it would not matter to me if in order to do this I would have to put the weight back on a couple of times...it's "basically free" clean energy. I am really hoping I won't be needing the amount of weight you are talking about :eek:...and as said it's an experiment just for fun.

Most video's I have seen that do a similar thing talk about "free energy" with perpetual motion machines. But I know that's impossible and at some point it will stop...and that's why I said a few times I knew about that. I don't need MegaWatts of power to be generated from this...if I get 70% of the rated output I'll be happy.

I have seen some gearboxes that really move A LOT on the output with just a little spin on the input. This is what I would need to build for this I think. The secondary project I have planned for these generators is a bit off topic...but a multi stage water wheel of some sort. I just want to see how it all works and then decide if it was just a fun project or something I will continue with.

I have done barely any calculations...just a conversation with ChatGPT ;) As I said my ultimate goal of the project is to charge my phone with it...or at least a powerbank that in turn will charge my phone. it would not matter to me if in order to do this I would have to put the weight back on a couple of times...it's "basically free" clean energy. I am really hoping I won't be needing the amount of weight you are talking about :eek:...and as said it's an experiment just for fun.

Most video's I have seen that do a similar thing talk about "free energy" with perpetual motion machines. But I know that's impossible and at some point it will stop...and that's why I said a few times I knew about that. I don't need MegaWatts of power to be generated from this...if I get 70% of the rated output I'll be happy.

I have seen some gearboxes that really move A LOT on the output with just a little spin on the input. This is what I would need to build for this I think. The secondary project I have planned for these generators is a bit off topic...but a multi stage water wheel of some sort. I just want to see how it all works and then decide if it was just a fun project or something I will continue with.
Ok, let's say you want to charge a phone at 5 volts and 2 amps, or 10 watts. A 1000 pound weight at 2 meters high will give no more than 882 seconds of charging time. I'm not saying don't do it. By all means, I love experimenting. I'm just showing you the math so you can temper expectations. But I will say you would get much more use out of a generator attached to bike pedals.

The weight is nothing more than an energy storage system:
- If you raise with your truck then its gas powered. A gas generator will be more practical.
- If you raise by hand then its human powered. There are way more efficient methods. As stated above a bike generator, or my plan is to maximize the human output and create a rowing generator. Example

Ok, let's say you want to charge a phone at 5 volts and 2 amps, or 10 watts. A 1000 pound weight at 2 meters high will give no more than 882 seconds of charging time. I'm not saying don't do it. By all means, I love experimenting. I'm just showing you the math so you can temper expectations. But I will say you would get much more use out of a generator attached to bike pedals.
So if my truck weighs 6000lbs, it only needs a 1' drop to equal your example, and it lifts itself.

@
Thanks for the reality check! I have done some more research and it's not as simple as I had imagined it to be...it will never generate as much power as I had hoped. In my mind...as long as the generator is spinning the required RPM's and has the torgue things would be "ok". I had no idea the weight and height had so much influence on the amount of potential energy.

I am still going to proceed with my project....just with different goals and more realistic expectations. To be honest...I have no idea what to expect anymore as all my ideas have been basically been unrealistic at the small scale that I can do this at. I don't really feel comfortable with a weight of more than 20KG. And actually...I already find that too much!

With some luck the generators will be delivered today and my first tests will be if and what their performance will be. Just going to run them with a motor (or cordless drill) to get a rough idea. I also got some cheap hydro generators to experiment with. No expectations...water flow will come from a USB powered water pump for now.

I did find a youtube video of someone that used the same type of generator/motor with a hand powered gearbox. Those gears were HUGE...but he used a very inefficient 7505 regulator to make it 5 volts to charge an iPhone so I am guessing A LOT of potential power was completely lost by not being used or just from the regulator. Still...it was a fun video to watch.

As for the pedal generators...I have been looking at them but find them a bit expensive at the moment. I could use the exercise though, hahahaha :ROFLMAO: But at the moment and at the prices I see them (200+ euro) they are out of my budget. In a similar manner I have been researching what type of bicycle dynamo/generators are available to generate power while cycling. Not stationary but during actual "road trips". I had a route planned of about 11KM (30min) hoping to get at least 15-20W charging a powerbank or something. Just for fun. ;)

I guess your bicycle has lights?

Hopefully not the modern battery powered, then your bike already has the power generating capability :)

I've dabbled with the idea myself, it's doable, there are pro installations with large concrete weight.

The efficiency is crap, but it's stored "cheap"
It's more efficient then making hydrogen and use it as fuel :)

But... It's only feasible with "rest energy" that otherwise totally would have been lost.

I guess your bicycle has lights?

Hopefully not the modern battery powered, then your bike already has the power generating capability :)

I've dabbled with the idea myself, it's doable, there are pro installations with large concrete weight.

The efficiency is crap, but it's stored "cheap"
It's more efficient then making hydrogen and use it as fuel :)

But... It's only feasible with "rest energy" that otherwise totally would have been lost.
I do have lights on my bicycle yes...but pretty sure they are battery powered actually. Might have to change those as I have not been using my bike for about 2-3 years now :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The idea came when looking at a possible swimming pool at about 11km and what route I would have to take by bike. After some research I found out a standard bicycle dynamo only generates 6V 3W!! I guess that's sufficient enough for the normal front and back lights...but not for a little more power generation. I would not mind the extra resistance while cycling if I could generate 10-15 watts (or more).

I will look into it a bit more for "professional hobbyist" cycling or something to see if there are higher powered dynamo's available...something with at least more voltage and hopefully also more watts. Maybe if it does not exist I can do something DIY that would not be too suspicious that a cop would be asking questions. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. But DIY also means it needs to be weather proof etc... could still be fun to try though.

I was interested in gravity storage until I started doing the math. For a typical house's overnight consumption you need about the volume of a typical house in water weight 20ft in the air, or half the house volume 40ft in the air, etc.

Weird house volume water weight measurements aside, the point is the scale is out of control. Hundreds of tons. The only viable way to do gravity storage is very large volume pumped hydro, and environmental disagreements will prevent the development of very much of it anywhere. Potential flooding sites all tend to be quite treasured and pristine wilderness.

It really puts the amount of energy we use into context when you start visualizing it as potential energy. If you can get your energy consumption down to 3 LED light bulbs and a clock, then small scale gravity storage could work for you.

I'll never understand the need for someone to spend $40 tinkering around trying to build a better mousetrap when you could have just spent the $40 to buy another solar panel and been done.

@

Thanks for the reality check! I have done some more research and it's not as simple as I had imagined it to be...it will never generate as much power as I had hoped. In my mind...as long as the generator is spinning the required RPM's and has the torgue things would be "ok". I had no idea the weight and height had so much influence on the amount of potential energy.

I am still going to proceed with my project....just with different goals and more realistic expectations. To be honest...I have no idea what to expect anymore as all my ideas have been basically been unrealistic at the small scale that I can do this at. I don't really feel comfortable with a weight of more than 20KG. And actually...I already find that too much!

With some luck the generators will be delivered today and my first tests will be if and what their performance will be. Just going to run them with a motor (or cordless drill) to get a rough idea. I also got some cheap hydro generators to experiment with. No expectations...water flow will come from a USB powered water pump for now.

I did find a youtube video of someone that used the same type of generator/motor with a hand powered gearbox. Those gears were HUGE...but he used a very inefficient 7505 regulator to make it 5 volts to charge an iPhone so I am guessing A LOT of potential power was completely lost by not being used or just from the regulator. Still...it was a fun video to watch.

As for the pedal generators...I have been looking at them but find them a bit expensive at the moment. I could use the exercise though, hahahaha :ROFLMAO: But at the moment and at the prices I see them (200+ euro) they are out of my budget. In a similar manner I have been researching what type of bicycle dynamo/generators are available to generate power while cycling. Not stationary but during actual "road trips". I had a route planned of about 11KM (30min) hoping to get at least 15-20W charging a powerbank or something. Just for fun. ;)
Hey, we can make 20 kg work... You just need a tower only 200 meters tall for it to fall from. Only 200 meters?

Hey, we can make 20 kg work... You just need a tower only 200 meters tall for it to fall from. Only 200 meters?
Pulleys M8, pulleys.

Not even need 200 meter.
You do need to compensate for the additional friction and a bit longer rope.

25 kg and 5 meters (or less) (height of house walls for easy construction)
Should be able to do the trick.

Feasible is a whole different discussion.
Doable... Sure :)

It is probably a FUN DIY project, and there is no real price on FUN.

Besides this, educational for youths, getting them to think about energy, gaining insight.
(Probably not just youth, grown-ups will be intrigued as well)

But as a way to save money...
Nope :)

Back