diy solar

diy solar

Great forum - joined

Limmin

I am so glad to see that a current, active DIY solar forum exists! I recognize Will from the YT videos I have been consuming lately. I joined up when I was able to get my initial questions answered within a few minutes of browsing here. Great!

About me: I'm an engineering academic, good with theory and math & stuff, but as I get older I like spending more and more time getting my hands dirty. Am an amateur auto mechanic and fix stuff around the house. Lately I've been bitten by the bug of generating power and reducing my home power use from the grid; this seems a really attractive and fulfilling "Hobby." Am currently "doing my homework" and haven't bought anything.

I am wanting to start an experimental setup in my home or workshop to learn the ropes, expecting / hoping to power as much as I can on a small scale. Not for the entire house. One of the first things that occurred to me was that if I'm not generating enough power to keep the batteries charged all the time, I'd need a way to quickly and nicely (and autonomously) switch over to grid power, as I am not even remotely close to cutting the cord.

Some inverters have an AC input that seems to fulfill this exact purpose, but reading reviews online I see that they are often not at all good for an experimental setup like mine. For instance, they're setup to use the AC input almost exclusively, switching to batteries only when the AC is cut off because of a power outage or because your boat unplugged from the shore. Which is the opposite of what I want. Even worse, Amazon is fairly hard to navigate...even typing "sine wave inverter automatic transfer switch" yields results that are 90% wrong, e.g. car inverters. So I have to back out one level and do a general web search for practically everything.

Fortunately another post in this subforum (for newbs) directed me to Will's video about the Moes ATS. Holy cow, that's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for. Yay! Here's hoping this forum continues to be a good place to get good, current ideas for the DIY power generation enthusiast.

Thanks all!

Welcome to the Forum.

Depending on what exactly you want to do. There are AIO's (All in Ones) which can take grid Power for charging batteries if/when required and many other systems as well. For example I use SAMLEX EVO Inverter with Dual AC Inputs for A) Genset & B) Grid Power IN for charging. They also have a BUILT-IN ATS so no need for an external one and programmable as to how you want it to function and when.

FYI - A Common Misunderstanding regarding use of GenSets.
NOT All Gensets can be used with a Solar System ! Most quality Inverters & AIO's come with an AGS (Auto Gen Start) Port which connects to a GSCM (Generator Start Control Module) that can start & stop a generator when triggered to do so by the Inverter/AIO. Obviously, it is preferential to use a Pure Sine Inverter Genset because during the Charge Process AC Voltage is also "Passed Through" in an "AS/IS" state. Therefore if you have a MOD SINE Genset you will get MOD Sine passed through which is not terribly good for fine electronics and motors like Fridge & AC Compressors.

Here is one of the Best GSCM's available on the market: https://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-mini-60hz-usa-canada/
In this DOC they list all supported Gensets, if the genset is not in there then NO GSCM will support it ! ALSO: There are specialized ones for specific Inverter Systems such as OutBack or for specific gensets like ONAN Diesels.

Have a look through the Links in my Signature, a whole lot of info is in there already that will answer many questions you'll have.
Take your time, ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS and MOST IMPORTANTLY ! DO NOT BUY A DAMNED THING till you have a PLAN ! I think I made that obvious enough.

Some Clarity.
There are 4 Tiers of products, with Tier-1 Being Premium Top Grade stuff, Scheider, Samlex, Midnite Solar, Victron, etc...
Tier-2 like MPP Solar, Growatt (some tier-1 & commercial so they are different) and do on.
Tier-3 are "Value" grade equipment, some good some terrible. Giandel Car Inverters = ok, Yiyen (OEM) ok, Sigineer, quite good.
Tier-4 - ugh.... Well you don;t want any of it... it includes RENOGY, great promo crap product and worse service & support RUN FOREST RUN !

Hope it helps, Good Luck

Back