diy solar

diy solar

Grid-assisted inverter (Voltronic Axpert Max) tripping RCBO upon source switch

iurly

Hi,

I've been using a Voltronic Axpert Max 7200 for several months now.
It works just fine most of the time but sometimes one or more of the RCBOs would trip upon power source switch, i.e. when switching from Grid/Solar to Solar/Battery.
In other words when it switches from off-grid to grid-assisted mode or the other way around.
This has happened perhaps 10 times over the course of about 8 months, and I haven't been able to track down the conditions to reproduce it.
Notice I have:
- two Type-AC 300mA RCBOs on the input side (one close to the energy meter, one in the main breaker box). They usually trip both at the same time.
- three Type-AC 30mA RCBOs on the output side (one for each floor), and it's usually the one towards the lived-in part of the house that trips.
So, every once in a while, either the two RCBOs on the input side or one of the RCBOs would trip when switching to off-grid mode.

I note how it's the RCD part that's tripping, not the MCB, so it's definitely some residual current, not overload or short circuit.
I also notice it has also happened with a total load as low as 500W.

Any idea what might be going on or how I can try to fix it or at least reproduce it?
Thanks!

Too many RCDs. When passing power through it's going through multiple RCDs.

I have RCDs for the individual output circuits only, while the inverter AC input is a regular circuit breaker for over current protection only.

Back