diy solar

diy solar

Grid disconnect switch for SMA Sunny Island

brum

Solar Enthusiast
I'm trying to reconfigure my SMA Sunny Island from increased self-consumption mode to increased self-consumption mode with backup. SMA offers the required equipment as a pre-build panel, but they state that customers can use an after-market equivalent. And here comes the issue - what can I use for the grid disconnect switch (single phase)?

I was considering an automatic transfer switch, but I'm almost sure that it won't work. The required switch should automatically disconnect the grid if the grid power fails. The ATS won't do that as it needs power to operate (to disconnect).

Or shortly - I'm looking for a switch that:
  • Is rated for 63A/230V AC (at least).
  • Will automatically disconnect the load if power is missing.
  • Will connect the load if and only if power is applied to the solenoid (Q2).
  • Has a built-in relay that indicates the switch position (Q2 NC connection on X5 3 and 4).

Probably a contactor with a built-in indicator relay will do the job, but I don't want to experiment with this. So I'm looking for advice.

Attachments

• 1679173274934.png
    1679173274934.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 10
I haven’t heard of SMA having such a product… but then again their website isn’t the best for finding… well anything.

I’m assuming your planning on using a SMA Data Manger or similar to control the logic?

Nope, the Sunny Boy itself controls the logic. It is the only working device when the grid is down.

The SMA Home Manager 2.0 only measures the power flow and limits the export. It is used in the grid-tie mode and there is no need for it in the island mode.

The attached picture shows the setup that I'm aiming at. With exception of the phase coupling as I'm using a single phase.

Attachments

• 1679177440650.png
    1679177440650.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 15
Ahhh gotcha. This looks like it’s something for the newer global Sunny Islands and not the older 6048 we have here in the states.

I'm trying to reconfigure my SMA Sunny Island from increased self-consumption mode to increased self-consumption mode with backup. SMA offers the required equipment as a pre-build panel, but they state that customers can use an after-market equivalent. And here comes the issue - what can I use for the grid disconnect switch (single phase)?

I was considering an automatic transfer switch, but I'm almost sure that it won't work. The required switch should automatically disconnect the grid if the grid power fails. The ATS won't do that as it needs power to operate (to disconnect).

Or shortly - I'm looking for a switch that:
  • Is rated for 63A/230V AC (at least).
  • Will automatically disconnect the load if power is missing.
  • Will connect the load if and only if power is applied to the solenoid (Q2).
  • Has a built-in relay that indicates the switch position (Q2 NC connection on X5 3 and 4).

Probably a contactor with a built-in indicator relay will do the job, but I don't want to experiment with this. So I'm looking for advice.
On my SMA system, I use a contactor for this purpose. I've attached a pic of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 18.34.50.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 18.34.50.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 13
Contactor sounds good. I've found two contactor options today - one is Chinese (Tomzn) and one that I'll likely use (Eaton).

The Tomzn has a nice feature - on/off switch. The Eaton option doesn't have it, but Eaton is a well known brand with reliable products.

Back