diy solar

diy solar

Forcing Sunny Island on grid?

The Modbus TCP register maps are not the same for Sunny Boys and Sunny Islands, so unless you compare the 2 register maps and confirm the register numbers are the same and of the same format you have to assume its Sunny Boy only. Plus Sunny Islands only got Modbus TCP later on so early ones only use SMANet so will not work at all.

The Modbus TCP register maps are not the same for Sunny Boys and Sunny Islands, so unless you compare the 2 register maps and confirm the register numbers are the same and of the same format you have to assume its Sunny Boy only. Plus Sunny Islands only got Modbus TCP later on so early ones only use SMANet so will not work at all.

By "Later" do you mean the European model Sunny Island 8.0H

and Earlier the model previously sold in Europe, now only as 120V US model?

There was a firmware change at some point on US model so it no longer supports communication with Sunny Island Charger (or Midnight Classic, which has an emulation interface.)

The earlier models used RS-485 for communications with SB and Web Box (maybe Sunny Boy Control?) and SMA net between SI and SIC.

I thought there was a SpeedWire (Ethernet) card for them, maybe that was only for European model. Also a Speedwire/RS-485 gateway so data could be at least monitored together with newer Sunny Boy having speedwire.

This Speedwire card doesn't actually say which model Sunny Island:

"This document is valid for device type "SWDMSI-10.BG1" (SMA Speedwire data module for Sunny Island) from hardware version A and firmware version 1.02.00.R."

y "Later" do you mean the European model Sunny Island 8.0H
Yes, not sure when it became fully functional, possibly on the 8.0-13 current variant, earlier was speedwire which may not be fully Modbus TCP on port 502.

I extract data from my SI5048 and send it to MQTT and then into a Modbus TCP server on a Raspberry Pi using the 8.0h-13 modbus registers so my data logger sees it as this variant. Hence why I know the maps do not match the Sunny Boys.

Last edited:
Back