diy solar

diy solar

Grid-tie chargers AC to DC 1000w plus

stuartornum

Hi,

I'm trying to find something that'll charge my battery bank from AC power (240V) - and cannot find anything suitable that's under £1000/$1000.

I currently have a Sofar HYD3600-ES hybrid solar inverter/mppt/charger - this thing can and does charge my batteries (from the grid) at up to 3000w, the problem is the device is "dumb" (as in, not smart) - I cannot dynamically via an API/app/online change when I want it to charge and how many kWh's to draw. I currently have to stand in-front of the device and hit the buttons to toggle stuff... (first world problem, I know..)

In the UK, we have dynamic pricing for electricity from the National Grid - meaning, between 01:00 and about 05:00, the price per kWh is a lot cheaper (~6x cheaper) than say 16:00 to 19:00. These prices are published by the energy suppliers via API's - hence why I need something I can control programmatically.

I'm looking for a charger that'll charge my batteries: Pylontech US2000 and US3000 (link) 48V LiFePO4

Any help/advice would be amazing.

Cheers,

Hi Stuartornum,

I've designed an ESS that participates in grid dynamic pricing and demand response (energy market). I currently use a couple Chargery c10325 programmable 1500w chargers. I've been charging daily a few different large battery systems 9kWh - 2.3kWh (Sony Fortelion, LG Chem, Tesla modules, etc), the Chargery c10325 has proven to very reliable over the last two years with excellent PF.

I control and monitor the charger remotely with off the shelf wifi plugs such as Sonoff POW R2 with Tasmota and an R-PI with Node-red for API integration. Also if I remember correctly someone integrated an R-PI with Pylontech US2000 via console port.

Pylontech seem to make very good batteries, good competitor to Sony/muRata Fortelion batteries at an excellent price point. I wish I could get them in the USA.

Hi Stuartornum,

I've designed an ESS that participates in grid dynamic pricing and demand response (energy market). I currently use a couple Chargery c10325 programmable 1500w chargers. I've been charging daily a few different large battery systems 9kWh - 2.3kWh (Sony Fortelion, LG Chem, Tesla modules, etc), the Chargery c10325 has proven to very reliable over the last two years with excellent PF.

I control and monitor the charger remotely with off the shelf wifi plugs such as Sonoff POW R2 with Tasmota and an R-PI with Node-red for API integration. Also if I remember correctly someone integrated an R-PI with Pylontech US2000 via console port.

Pylontech seem to make very good batteries, good competitor to Sony/muRata Fortelion batteries at an excellent price point. I wish I could get them in the USA.

Thanks for this! They have a 3050w charger as well for $400! Certainly going to do some research on these!

I'm surprised I haven't seen Pylontech batteries mentioned in the US - the price per kWh is significantly cheaper than say Battleborn

In USD:
- Battleborn 100AH (unit price $949) is ~ $791/kWh
- Pylontech US3000 3.55kWh (unit price $1,313) ~ $370/kWh

After some more research, I'm more impressed with the Pylontech batteries. Good cycle life, BMS seems to be better than most, and excellent price point.

Unfortunately I can not find a US distributor, I might have to get a few from China directly. Also not UL certified, but they have a valid TUV cert. That's good enough for me.

After some more research, I'm more impressed with the Pylontech batteries. Good cycle life, BMS seems to be better than most, and excellent price point.

Unfortunately I can not find a US distributor, I might have to get a few from China directly. Also not UL certified, but they have a valid TUV cert. That's good enough for me.

Victron have certified it against their products as well! https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

I'd love to see Will tear one of them apart... hmm, on second thought... I've got about £2,000 (USD$2,600) invested in these batteries... maybe ignorance really is bliss this case...

Back