diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tie inverter that connects directly to electric panel (not to wall outlet) recommendations

LosFelizGirl

I've watched a ton of videos on the Sun grid tie inverter, it's the one that feeds power back into your home by plugging it into a dedicated wall outlet.
Some of the videos mention that there are 2 different kind of grid tie inverters, ones that plug into a wall outlet and ones that connect directly to your electrical panel.
What are some brands of grid tie inverters that connect directly to the electric panel? What are some popular brands people are using?

Thanks!

Fronius, Solar Edge, Enphase (microinverter)

(Not saying all are good, or performs well in all applications including with battery backup.)

Any will work plugged into a wall outlet. I test them that way.
Likely doesn't comply with code in the US, and if circuit has multiple outlets, possible to deliver more amps than the wires can support.

Unless you are doing guerilla solar, you need an inverter that complies with building codes and utility requirements.
I like old UL-1741 compatible SMA Sunny Boy, but later code required new features, so only new models allowed for new installs.
The old ones are good for replacement in existing systems, or AC coupled off-grid, or guerilla solar (make sure you never backfeed past the meter, so not detected.)

Back