diy solar

diy solar

Ground Array. Where to buy material

Another issue is angle. I worried about this - probably too much - as I didn't really understand the impact of the choices.

Suggest using PVWatts - https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php - for your location with the defaults and just play with Tilt (deg) to see the different kwh estimates based on the different angles.
View attachment 101821
You may want to optimize for winter or summer or in-between or make it changeable. The angle may worry you more or less - but at least you can put some actual numbers to the design choice you settle on :)
Is there a similar website that plots the chart of solar output vs time of day?

ie, I want to orient the panels East, South, West and want to know how the output appears.

Is there a similar website that plots the chart of solar output vs time of day?

ie, I want to orient the panels East, South, West and want to know how the output appears.
PVWatts does that easily for what you're trying to learn. Just change tilt and azimuth in the form and click. Then back up and repeat with new values. You can also select a single or dual-axis tracker and it will simulate it. It will give you the data, you can download it and plot it in Excel.

Here is an inexpensive rail, makes it easy to clip the panels together.
These are designed for roof mounting, but I don't see why a DIY ground mount would not work. (so long as high winds are not an issue)

The snapnrack clips and brackets to fit these rails are not expensive, I buy used or surplus ones from ebay.
The best part is no shipping $$$, if you have a city nearby, they probably have a REXEL.com, which sells snapnrack and ironridge solar mounts, free delivery!
I just bought 8 of these for $240, delivered.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 09.06.47.png

Wood is high right now. Way high.

Strut can often be found on craigslist for half the price of home depot. Wood as well.

Bed frames (the metal base part) can be used to build a cheap metal frame if you are handy.
great point the bed frames might work !

Don't know where you are but I used 2 3/8" oil field pipe for poles. Cheap any super sturdy

Attachments

• IMG_20220412_201255153.jpg
    IMG_20220412_201255153.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 33
Don't know where you are but I used 2 3/8" oil field pipe for poles. Cheap any super sturdy

Outstanding! I'd like to look into sources for these. I'd need to arrange shipping. And I'd like to ask you about rust and whether you do anything to thwart it.

Outstanding! I'd like to look into sources for these. I'd need to arrange shipping. And I'd like to ask you about rust and whether you do anything to thwart it.
It is some heavy stuff at 6lbs a ft and 0.28" wall thickness I'm not worried about rust. But I thought at some point I would paint it with some rust converter chassis paint. Just look for a oil field supply yard. I bought all 3 joints (32ft each) used for $160 its called drill stem

Related, does anyone have source for ground screws? Would be lot easier if could find source of those instead of doing the digging hole, filling with cement and pipe.

Unirac ULA in the background, 2" rigid conduit locally sourced ($100 for 10' today!), aluminum rails with bottom clips, brackets.

Some other channel in foreground, 1" IMC conduit on fence posts and U-channel bolted to wall.

Because I had old satellite TV and Internet dish mounts at my place I repurposed them to mount solar panels (since added a few more) by removing everything but the adjustment and pole clamps. I than used unistrut to hold the panels to it. They can be tilted and turned easily and so far have had no problems with storms over the last 3 years.

Attachments

• P1010001_v1.JPG
    P1010001_v1.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 16
Duckbill anchors are prretty nice. Pound them in and set with a high lift jack.
I'm going to do a ballasted ground mount using the IronRidge 20-deg Tilt-up legs, and 6-foot long Parking Curb Stops as ballasts. They weigh about 250lbs each. I can set them 4-ft apart, and mount the Tilt-up legs either using Tapcons or directly to the existing 5/8" rebar holes. Easy peasy, no digging, no mixing concrete. The PC Stops are $35 each. I just need to rent a truck to pick them up. Ha ha!

It is some heavy stuff at 6lbs a ft and 0.28" wall thickness I'm not worried about rust. But I thought at some point I would paint it with some rust converter chassis paint. Just look for a oil field supply yard. I bought all 3 joints (32ft each) used for $160 its called drill stem
Hi Durk,

Thanks. Very helpful info. Not many oil field supply yards in Hawaii ;-) But that's why you made the comment about "not sure what part of the country you are in"!! I'll look into this in California also. Much appreciate the info. John

diy solar

diy solar
Back