diy solar

diy solar

Grounding and bonding.

Copperman

I'm constructing a metal building to be used as a boat shed and storage. There will be no utility hookup, I am simply installing a small array and 48V system to power lights, small compressors, chargers, etc.

I have a small 100A 6-position breaker panel I am using for distribution, and once installed I'll add my grounding rod and tie in the box. My inverter is a Growatt SPF3000LVM 48V, and from what I can see on the web, it appears they have neutral bonded to ground inside the case. I've always been told to bond at the panel, so assume I am going to have to break the bond in the inverter case to bond at the panel? Or am I way off base?

I'm constructing a metal building to be used as a boat shed and storage. There will be no utility hookup, I am simply installing a small array and 48V system to power lights, small compressors, chargers, etc.

I have a small 100A 6-position breaker panel I am using for distribution, and once installed I'll add my grounding rod and tie in the box. My inverter is a Growatt SPF3000LVM 48V, and from what I can see on the web, it appears they have neutral bonded to ground inside the case. I've always been told to bond at the panel, so assume I am going to have to break the bond in the inverter case to bond at the panel? Or am I way off base?
I think the correct advice is to bond at the ‘source’. If you’re connected to Mains power, that’s the panel, but with an AIO, it’s the inverter. Leave the neutral-ground bond there, and don’t make another N-G bond at the panel.

I guess that makes sense if the inverter is considered the source. Would I still earth ground at the panel? Or would I ground the inverter?

I guess that makes sense if the inverter is considered the source. Would I still earth ground at the panel? Or would I ground the inverter?
I would earth ground at the panel just because it will likely be easier. But either should be fine.
The important things are: One earth connection, one N-G bond, and only one path to earth from any point in the system.

I would earth ground at the panel just because it will likely be easier. But either should be fine.
The important things are: One earth connection, one N-G bond, and only one path to earth from any point in the system.
Agreed, I guess that was why I was thinking it was safer to bond in the panel where I was also going to ground, but given the proximity to each other, it really should not matter. Thanks for the input everyone.

Back