diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12k passthrough

3 N/G bonds and 2 separate connections to earth?
Is this what you are recommending?
Or just sharing how it should NOT be done.

A single N/G bond and ground rod, should both be at the pedestal box in that drawing. And nowhere else.
Exactly as I said, ignore everything before "shed breaker box" ... I fixed it for you.

Last edited:
Two N/G bonds on one service is a human safety.

Transformer trying to balance the grid, is an equipment failure issue.

Human safety is always more important.
Ok, thank you. I needed to have someone say it directly. I wasn’t sure if the fact that there were “different neutrals” gave me an out somehow.

So, my options in my scenario are to either:
1) have grid L1 and L2 only connect to AC in. Downside being equipment risk if lightning arrives?

Or

2) My original “safe plan” - Stay “off grid” and add juice to the battery bank from a separate charger powered by a grid extension cord.

Seems like I’m in the market for a big 48V battery charger….

Exactly as I said, ignore everything before "shed breaker box" ... I fixed it for you.
Two N/G bonds are still a problem.
Intentionally putting neutral current on the ground conductor, is a safety Hazzard. (Not to mention, against code)
This creates a touch and step Hazzard. That could easily be deadly.

Two N/G bonds are still a problem.
Intentionally putting neutral current on the ground conductor, is a safety Hazzard. (Not to mention, against code)
This creates a touch and step Hazzard. That could easily be deadly.

Last edited:
If it were an isolation transformer, they would be two separate systems and neutrals. With an autotransformer, in bypass mode it's still one system. Therefore not connecting the neutrals creates an open neutral situation. And bonding both sides puts the neutral current on the ground conductor.

If it were an isolation transformer, they would be two separate systems and neutrals. With an autotransformer, in bypass mode it's still one system. Therefore not connecting the neutrals creates an open neutral situation. And bonding both sides puts the neutral current on the ground conductor.
As far as we can tell, the internal trans is wired to act as an isolation and autotrans, depending on mode of operation.

As far as we can tell, the internal trans is wired to act as an isolation and autotrans, depending on mode of operation.
Isolation in inverter mode.
Auto in bypass mode. (Also depicted in that drawing)
Bypass mode is the only Hazzard.

Shot428, thanks for the link to the Sigineer manual it was much better than the one supplied by Growatt.

If so, you wire it like this. View attachment 88676

Is the schematic below corresponds with yours? Courtesy of @FilterGuy
1669248316655-png.121578

Is the schematic below corresponds with yours? Courtesy of @FilterGuy
1669248316655-png.121578

That diagram would be similar to what Ian had in his photo. That photo was from his website Watts247.

I do have some issues with that setup, I mentioned starting here. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-12k-passthrough.37359/post-472111

It's been some time since this thread but I will give some pointers. With nothing connected to the inverter, both AC input and output, measure for continuity between N-G on the AC output terminals. This will indicate if the unit bonds N-G under inverter power. If continuity is present, then I recommend a 3 pole double throw where if you want to bypass the inverter you can switch to the grid N for the subpanel.

If there isn't continuity, then you can proceed with a common neutral shown by Filter Guy's diagram.

Ok, thank you. I needed to have someone say it directly. I wasn’t sure if the fact that there were “different neutrals” gave me an out somehow.

So, my options in my scenario are to either:
1) have grid L1 and L2 only connect to AC in. Downside being equipment risk if lightning arrives?

Or

2) My original “safe plan” - Stay “off grid” and add juice to the battery bank from a separate charger powered by a grid extension cord.

Seems like I’m in the market for a big 48V battery charger….
Did you find your 48v charger? I, too, will pick option 2 "safe plan"

The safest way to install an "off grid" inverter.
Is to never connect it to the grid.

I used to respect Ian's cowboy style but I've lost it, it is obviously a low frequency inverter. It's high frequency because of the way it steps the voltage to the primary of the transformer and they all do that. Have any of you seen an engine run without a flywheel, it's as rough as fuck, stick a flywheel on it and it smooths right on out. A V6 will run smoother and a V8 will run even smoother still, equivalent of the amount of steps per cycle for the transformer drive. The way the growatt drives the transformer is the equivalent thing.

My bullshit detector ramped up when he started slagging off the luxpower unit and doing that iffy listing on his website, now he's slagging growatt because he doesn't sell them anymore. Nope off my vendor list.

Back