diy solar

diy solar

Growatt MIN series (Shine Tools app) inverter setting for zero export

lapsmith

There are a few other posts on this topic, but nothing specific to my question. There is a confusing setting on the Shine tools app for the Growatt MIN series inverter. I need to prevent export to the grid until my installation is approved. The setting in question is Export Limitation Power Ratio% (it is under System configuration - Export limitation setting).

I have Export Limitation Setting set to Enabled via RS485 (Smart meter connected) which is fine, but then under Export Limitation Power Ratio%, should it be set to 0, or 100%? It seems that if the Limitation is 0%, then it will not limit export, whereas if it is set to 100%, then it will limit all export. But I have the feeling, it is the other way around, i.e. that 0% means no export. Has anyone used this setting and know which it should be?

hmm good question.

you got the inverter working again?

The answer is 0% for zero-exporting.

100% means you are allowing full inverter capability for exporting.
Depending on your min-tlx 2500 - 6000 variant.

Let say you have 3600 variant, setting it to 100% means you are allowing the inverter to export 3600watts.

Sometime, users would like to allow some import from the grid because the so called zero-export isn't exactly zero and they don't want to trigger utility monitoring.

In this case, they can set the growatt register 123 (yes, you don't read it wrong, it is 123).

The formula is :
65536 - X*10 = -X%

So, if user wants to allow some import, let say 5% from grid all the time, they can set register 123 to 65486.
Don't ask me why it is not 65535. It is 65536. Bolded.

you got the inverter working again?
Yes. Well, actually Growatt sent me a replacement under warranty and the new one is working fine. Not sure why the other unit was showing a battery wiring fault. Having said that, even though the app is indicating no faults, the inverter and battery are both flashing red on their status lights. I'm hoping it is just because the battery isn't fully charged yet. I know the inverter is communicating with the battery as I can see the state of charge slowly increasing.

Anyway, hats off to Growatt's customer service!

The answer is 0% for zero-exporting.

100% means you are allowing full inverter capability for exporting.
Thanks for the clarification!

Depending on your min-tlx 2500 - 6000 variant.
Actually I have a MIN11400TL-XH-US so I don't have the register settings you describe in the app. (My unit doesn't have an LCD screen, everything is through the Shine Tools app).

I do notice with export limitation set to 0, I occasionally see a little bit of export to the grid on the app - on the order of 50 watts or less. I'm hoping that is just overshoot and not real. I will put a current probe on the line to see what I can learn. Hopefully I won't get a call from my utility before my generation application is approved.

I occasionally see a little bit of export to the grid on the app - on the order of 50 watts or less. I'm hoping that is just overshoot and not real.
The default ramp rate under the grid code section of the app is 16 % per minute. With it that low you will see export spike up and down a lot when large loads start/stop. I ended up setting this to 600 or 1000 when I was grid tied, I had to play with it, too high causes instability also. It’s what controls people call tuning.

The default ramp rate under the grid code section of the app is 16 % per minute. With it that low you will see export spike up and down a lot when large loads start/stop. I ended up setting this to 600 or 1000 when I was grid tied, I had to play with it, too high causes instability also. It’s what controls people call tuning.
Ah, thanks, I wondered what that setting was for. Well its been over a week now with no calls or termination notices from my utility so if it is exporting, it isn't enough to trigger a notice. I'll play with the setting once I get everything else working.

BTW, there are so many settings that aren't covered in the documentation, do you know of any info available on line that might explain them? Perhaps from another manufacturer?

BTW, there are so many settings that aren't covered in the documentation, do you know of any info available on line that might explain them?
No, unfortunately. I just googled the terms used and sometimes that would help me get a clue. You will see that a few of them have a help pop up.

What I did generally is played with the ones I thought I needed to figure out but I stood by the breaker in case something got out of hand. In off grid mode an auto transformer connected you will hear immediately if the frequency/load start swinging. A transformer hum tone is directly and strongly related to frequency.

It took me several weeks to get the ramp rate to where I thought it was best. I’d think I had it then wife would run the dryer. That 4.4 kW heater coming on/off every 4/5 minutes really cycles the import/export around. Then the 5.3 kW convection oven.

No, unfortunately. I just googled the terms used and sometimes that would help me get a clue. You will see that a few of them have a help pop up.

What I did generally is played with the ones I thought I needed to figure out but I stood by the breaker in case something got out of hand. In off grid mode an auto transformer connected you will hear immediately if the frequency/load start swinging. A transformer hum tone is directly and strongly related to frequency.

It took me several weeks to get the ramp rate to where I thought it was best. I’d think I had it then wife would run the dryer. That 4.4 kW heater coming on/off every 4/5 minutes really cycles the import/export around. Then the 5.3 kW convection oven.
Yes, Google and this forum are amazing resources.

I'm hoping I will hear that wine of my off grid transformer some day:)

I will have to even more conservative since my electric heat is 13kw. Ugh.

I will have to even more conservative since my electric heat is 13kw. Ugh.
With ramp rate set at 16 % per minute, if you were to start a 11.4 kW load with the inverter at zero it would take 100/16 minutes to get to 11.4kW, that’s a lot of important, when it turns off that’s a lot of export.

With ramp rate set at 16 % per minute, if you were to start a 11.4 kW load with the inverter at zero it would take 100/16 minutes to get to 11.4kW, that’s a lot of important, when it turns off that’s a lot of export.
That does seem slow. What do you think is the reason to have the default at 16%? Is it less stressful on the electronics?

What would you suggest for me? Right now I can't export, but will be able to once my installation is approved.

Back